Original Post
Hello I'm about to make a game but needs to ask some questions about copyright first... Can you copyright rules of a game? The rules i'm interested in are the rules in Dungeons and Dragons. I know the text's of DnD are copyrighted and the names are trademarked but how about the rules? Are you allowed to use the same rule-based system in your game if you just don't copy any texts or use any names they own? I've tried to google but only found this: "The idea for a game is not protected by copyright. The same is true of the name or title given to the game and of the method or methods for playing it. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in the development, merchandising, or playing of a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles." http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html By reading that I get the impression that the rules cannot be copyrighted, but why would many game developers buy the rights to use DnD rules in games then? /Robert