Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Video mode switch fail?

Started by Crypter Dec 16, 2007 at 2:11 PM 3 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
Crypter
Crypter
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. In my engine, I always query the system for all available video modes. This is to help insure that all video modes would work on the current machine. Everything worked fine on my laptop, and for the most part on my PC. It seems some of the modes do not work very well, though. i.e., I tried to switch to another video mode running a test today. When changing, my monitor displayed "No signal", except it was scrolling vertically in a loop. :/ I had to hit to quit and return back to Windows. Other modes seem to work fine. I am just wondering how can I insure I only get the video modes that will work? ...Unless there is something else that can cause this? I am currently using Win32's EnumDisplaySettings() and store the list in an std::vector . I would think these resolutions should all work, but am now starting to second guess that. I am posting here as I am using my OpenGL driver/plugin to render. Thanks for any input and suggestions!
cmptrgy412
cmptrgy412
I've had problems with "no signal" or similar errors and usually the problem was that my monitor did not support the refresh rate that was assigned with the resolution.

The video card can support it, but not the monitor.
I'm not sure how you can check supported refresh rates though.
V-man
V-man
I guess it happens that Windows thinks the monitor is suppose to support that resolution and Hz when in fact it doesn't. This is why the monitor's manufacturer give inf file.

There isn't anything you can do besides installing that inf file.
FReY
FReY
When you call the ChangeDisplaySettingsEx function, send it the CDS_TEST flag to test whether the mode is *really* supported. This will test the display switch without actually doing the switch. I usually add this as part of my enumeration of display settings.
do unto others... and then run like hell.
Crypter
Crypter
Thanks for the responses![smile]

I have not gotten time to test them yet, but I plan to tonight to see what happens.

I will post again later with the results.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.