Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Do people still fall for this?

Started by shotgunnutter Dec 19, 2007 at 9:32 AM 2 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
shotgunnutter
shotgunnutter
I have laboriously schooled my younger sisters about not joining these "free ring tone" services. Such as this I wonder - apart from young naive kids, is there anybody who falls for these schemes? Its £13.50 per week for what is basically direct marketing, and they forget to mention which phones the content will work on and which it won't. There was a case here of a company selling that public menace, the "Crazy Frog", to the tune of Axel F. to 10 yr old kids, and then "accidentally" forgetting to cancel peoples subscriptions when they asked. It was £2 per "free" ringtone, and you got up to 20 per week. What public body regulates these things where you are?
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Ravuya
Ravuya
I dunno if it falls explicitly under anyone's purview. In the UK, that should be reported to Trade Standards immediately.

In the US or Canada, I assume the BBB would like to know, although they can't do anything about it, and you might also want to report it to your phone company so they stop sending and charging. I'm not terribly sure what your avenues for informing the government are, though.
Zipster
Zipster
Oooo free ringtones!
dohtem
dohtem
Yeah people do. No one thinks to read or even look for the fine print.

There was a lawsuit against Jamster that forced them to give people an easier way to opt out.

If I remember correctly, T-Mobile only showed the opt-out number on the printed bill. So to get the number, you'd have to wait till the end of your billing cycle for the bill to come then you could call and cancel the subscription.

Sadly I know people that fell for this scam.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.