Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Addition to the rating system?

Started by Jarrod1937 Jan 14, 2008 at 5:17 PM 55 replies 13.4k views
Original Post
Jarrod1937
Jarrod1937
I was thinking, a lot of the time we see complaints with the rating system, and most of this stems from the lack of reasons why this or that person rated this user up or down. What about a comment system to go along with the rating? It would optional, but a person could leave an anonymous comment as to why they were rated down, or up if the person so cares to do so. I think this would be more effective than just a rating. What do you guys think?
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
darkpegasus
darkpegasus
I think this is a good idea. However, I really hate that rating a user down remains anonymous. I think far fewer people would be so quick to lash out with a bad rating if they knew the other user could see it.
Check out my current project on Kickstarter: Genegrafter
Jarrod1937
Jarrod1937
Quote:
Original post by darkpegasus
I think this is a good idea. However, I really hate that rating a user down remains anonymous. I think far fewer people would be so quick to lash out with a bad rating if they knew the other user could see it.

I'd think you'd get too much backlash if the other could see who rated them down. Some may just start clicking on the profiles to rate all those down who rated them down.

-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
dave
dave
Why do ratings matter?
Jarrod1937
Jarrod1937
Quote:
Original post by Dave
Why do ratings matter?

Thats kind of the point. I think of the ratings as sort of indicator/feedback if i, or others, are interacting well within the community. Other than that, the rating doesn't mean much.
However, if that is truly the only meaning the rating system has, then wouldn't it make sense to give the person commented feedback as to why he/she was rated down? To allow the user to more effectively learn where they're going wrong?

-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
SiCrane
SiCrane
At least one problem with anonymous feedback is that it is an anonymous message, which opens things up for abuse. For example, I could rate you down and include a message "Your momma likes to bake apple pies."
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
I don't miss the 0-rated users, not one bit. They got there for a reason.


:( You don't miss me!!!???

/me *cries*

I actually had fun getting my rating down to zero. I posted in every controversial thread I could find, and simply argued my viewpoint without insulting or being uncivil to anyone (or at least, I don't think I was :P). I thought about posting about my rating to make it dive like a submarine, but that's cheating. It actually took a good half year to get to zero. I wish I could see how far negative I am now :)
j_smith4
j_smith4
Maybe don't need comments but I think but I think we should be able to see who has rated us down. If you are going to rate somebody down then you should have the balls to stand behind it.
--------Ratings - Serious internet buisness
jpetrie
jpetrie
All that does is introduce retaliation -- this happens now, except it's unwarranted (people see their rating drop, and then assume it was the poster or posters in their most recent thread, when it fact it could have been somebody who never even responded or somebody who read some other post entirely, and then they go and rate those people down in retaliation).

If you feel that you should take credit for down-ratings, then you can easily do so via PM or in a post.
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
At least one problem with anonymous feedback is that it is an anonymous message, which opens things up for abuse. For example, I could rate you down and include a message "Your momma likes to bake apple pies."

Would it be feasible to have feedback comments be anonymous to the receiver, but the sender visible to moderators and staff? That way the moderators could police the comments as per normal threads. The main downside would be if this was put too much work on the mods.

My main concern over feedback, and especially non-anonymous feedback, is if it would sour the community spirit with squabbles and flames.
dmatter
dmatter
I think an optional feedback field would probably get largely ignored for positive ratings and abused for negative ones; that wouldn't be overly useful to the community.

I did once suggest that ratings could be tied to threads or posts, this can be done automagically when you use a thread to rate someone. It would allow that person to see what it was they contributed that deserved them a rating.
I can't imagine a reason to rate a user separately to their contribution in a thread?

One technique currently is to take the name of a person who's rated you and search for both your user name and theirs to find threads you've both participated in and try to see why they rated you.
Sneftel
Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by j_smith4
Maybe don't need comments but I think but I think we should be able to see who has rated us down. If you are going to rate somebody down then you should have the balls to stand behind it.

Yikes. Angry much? That's exactly why we don't show who rated people down, or allow reasons for it: it makes the whole thing far too personal. That's also why we make it so that one user can have almost no effect on another user. Ratings are impersonal, inexact, and statistical by design. It's just a number. Ignore it.
Jarrod1937
Jarrod1937
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
At least one problem with anonymous feedback is that it is an anonymous message, which opens things up for abuse. For example, I could rate you down and include a message "Your momma likes to bake apple pies."

You can introduce a community policed system. Have anyone in the community, except for those who the comment is for, tag the comment as abuse if it is. After so many community taggings, like from 4 or more community members, the comment will be removed.
However, i feel it would be a bad idea no matter what to make it non-anonymous. Anonymous is needed to avoid childish backlash.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Moe
Moe
Quote:
Original post by Jarrod1937
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
At least one problem with anonymous feedback is that it is an anonymous message, which opens things up for abuse. For example, I could rate you down and include a message "Your momma likes to bake apple pies."

You can introduce a community policed system. Have anyone in the community, except for those who the comment is for, tag the comment as abuse if it is. After so many community taggings, like from 4 or more community members, the comment will be removed.
However, i feel it would be a bad idea no matter what to make it non-anonymous. Anonymous is needed to avoid childish backlash.

Sounds to me like a lot of work to fix something that isn't particularly broken. I say leave the rating system be (for the time being).

T1Oracle
T1Oracle
The rating system is BS. It says that it rates "helpfulness" but I could help people here until I'm blue in the face and my rating will stay the same. But, post one opinion that some people don't like, and your rating will go in the can.

You'd think a site for game developers would have a decently designed point system... :
I tutored people in college, I served a year in Iraq, I volunteer for the church choir (in Iraq too), but according to my rating I'm a jerk. Figures...
Programming since 1995.
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
Quote:
Original post by T1OracleI tutored people in college, I served a year in Iraq, I volunteer for the church choir (in Iraq too), but according to my rating I'm a jerk. Figures...


Wow. If you're a jerk, I must be..... Satan!!!??

Does anybody actually filter out people with low ratings?
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by T1Oracle
The rating system is BS. It says that it rates "helpfulness" but I could help people here until I'm blue in the face and my rating will stay the same. But, post one opinion that some people don't like, and your rating will go in the can.

You'd think a site for game developers would have a decently designed point system... :
I tutored people in college, I served a year in Iraq, I volunteer for the church choir (in Iraq too), but according to my rating I'm a jerk. Figures...

it's not your opinion, it's how you present it.

We've been over this time and time again. Large jumps in rating occur when large groups of people rate a single person in one direction.

I've made threads on cannibalism being a *good* thing, and actually gotten rated UP for it. Clearly, that would be an unpopular opinion, it was all in how I presented it.

Besides, it says "or friendly".
Mushu
Mushu
Quote:
Original post by curtmax_0
Does anybody actually filter out people with low ratings?

I do!!!
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
Quote:
Original post by Mushu
Quote:
Original post by curtmax_0
Does anybody actually filter out people with low ratings?

I do!!!


Then how did you see my post? ;)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.