Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Pokemon Trading Card Game Online - VB6 Programmer Needed

Started by Malevolence Jan 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM 3 replies 14.6k views
Original Post
Malevolence
Malevolence
Project name: Originally known as "Pokemon: Online" we realized that was taken and came up with the (probably temporary) name "Pokemon: TCG Battlegrounds" Brief description: This project is client software to allow players to play the Pokemon Trading Card Game online, similar to software like Apprentice (for MTG) or YVD (for the Yugioh TCG). It has been in slow development for more than two years now and several key aspects have been finalized. Our goal is to provide more user friendly UI design and higher quality experience than existing software. The client will initially use direct TCP connection to link 2 players, but may later be connected over a central server (if funding can be found). Target aim: Freeware Compensation: We do not own the licences to Pokemon and therefore cannot legally profit in any way or afford to pay staff. See 'Additional Info' for a quick note. Technology: The target system for the client is the Windows platform and a large part of the game has already been developed using Visual Basic 6.0. The UI elements have been designed by a very competent digital artist. Talent needed: Right now the only team member required is a dedicated VB6 programmer to complete the project. However, anyone else wanting to help with any other aspects is free to join our discussions. So far, a deck builder has been almost completely programmed with the UI elements fully incorporated (see below). The programmer will need to slightly edit the deck builder code to work with new card set files. They will also need to write a conversion tool to convert the new set files to a format more similar to the old format. The deck builder's advanced search options also need to be completed. Once these maintenance tasks are done, the programmer will begin the main portion of the client. This will include developing an efficient system to send commands via between users, implementing the existing UI art into a working layout, programming all the gameplay elements involved with the Pokemon TCG game. Although the project is being done at a relaxed pace by a team with little experience, we are looking for a fairly talented VB6 programmer who has extensive experience implementing non-standard UIs. They must be familar with the Winsock protocol and should have some experience with graphics editing software. Familiarity with the Pokemon TCG is not required but would be helpful. Team structure: The team list is hard to determine due to the community nature of the project. There are a lot of members who have been involved at different aspects. I was the lead programmer and OsirisX is the lead artist. Setever is project head and many others contributed design ideas, project management, card set creation, and programming help. As lead programmer, I am no longer able to continue working on the project and need to be replaced. I will be around however to help familiarize my replacement with existing code and file formats. Website: We are currently running the project from the site xerocreative.com and its corresponding forums and IRC server. Several of the team members, including myself, are site staff. The specific forum topic that we use for development discussion is listed below. Contacts: Our forum topic: HERE (it is very long and nothing happens for most of the pages, feel free to skip towards the end) My forum name there: 'PhantomDuelist' My email: raven.ice[at]gmail.com The IRC server: irc.scrollrack.com My IRC nick: 'BlackDimitri' I will also be checking this topic regularly. Previous Work by Team: None. The 'team' working on this is a collection of members from a pre-existing website who work collaboratively and contribute time as they can. Additional Info: As a quick note, I'm not sure if asking for help on a fan-based project like this is allowed here since we do not own the intellectual property. I looked through the forum FAQ and posting template and saw no note on it. The fifth beta version of our deckbuilder is downloadable: HERE And some screenshots of said beta: View 1 View 2 View 3 Advanced Search Feel free to ask for any clarification. I look forward to hearing from anyone who's interested. Feedback: ANY
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
Your current software looks nice, but is it possible to switch to your own new trading card game? Nintendo is almost assuredly going to send letters to you if you go on-line with a Pokemon trading card game, particularly if you're using scanned images of the cards as it looks like you are with your screenshots.

Also as a heads-up, I know that Nintendo has asked GameDev not to encourage any projects that violate their I.P.. It should be fine if your project was like the Pokemon trading card game, rather than actually the Pokemon trading card game. As it is, there's a danger this thread will be closed by a moderator.

Otherwise, best of luck with your trading card project! I don't want to see it shut down due to I.P. issues.
Malevolence
Malevolence
Thanks for the heads up. As I noted, I wasn't sure how the rules here deal with such topics. If a moderator decides to remove the topic, that's fine.

Also, I would like to mention that many projects of this kind have existed for both Pokemon and almost all other trading card games for many years. And only in a couple cases that I can recall have the companies that own the IP sent out C&D letters. I personally believe these kinds of fan-games only help with marketing and promotion, so we'll continue development for now. If Nintendo ever does contact us, we'll respect their wishes and drop the project.
Promit
Promit
GameDev policy generally allows these types of threads. However, you are violating Nintendo's intellectual property rights by building this project. In short, what you are doing is illegal, and money has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter if you're completely free, and it doesn't matter whether or not Nintendo pursues you. (In fact, Nintendo has been extraordinarily lax with enforcement.)

So if you are okay with working on an illegal project, then that's your decision.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
jbadams
jbadams
Quote:
Original post by Promit
GameDev policy generally allows these types of threads.
Except in the case of Nintendo interestingly enough - our policy is that we don't take action unless we receive a direct request from the owner of the intellectual property in question, and it just so happens that I have a blanket request from Nintendo to close all threads where projects use Nintendo IP without permission.


Sorry Malevolence.
- Jason Astle-Adams

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.