Original Post
This question was presented at an interview for a programming position (not to me). A friend told me about it, and I asked him not to tell me the solution because I wanted to try to solve it myself, but after thinking about it for awhile, I have no idea how. The question was (I hope I remember it correctly): You have two ropes (don't remember if they are of equal length or not...). Each one takes exactly 30 minutes to burn out. You cannot assume that the speed at which the ropes burn is constant. You need to measure 45 minutes by just using these ropes (and a box of matches). I was told that this doesn't involve any complicated math, just simple logic. I don't want the full solution, just some hints that will point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. [Edited by - Gage64 on February 10, 2008 12:30:25 AM]