Original Post
Hello everyone! I am pretty new to the whole Open Source scene, and I decided that I would give some of the SDKs on sourceforge.net a try. Instead of going for the binary downloads, I decided to try and compile the source code for the project (this one being jpeg-6b). And here my troubles began. I perused the source several times and found out that Makefiles were what gave the compiler the necessary information to compile the project. Several Google searches gave me Linux only tutorials on makefiles which didn't really help me, since I'm using MSVC++ 2008 Express on Windows XP. So, I tried some simple "nmake /f makefile.vc libjpeg.lib" as was recommended in one of the docs, but alas, I get the error that win32.mak could not be found. So my question is, how do I compile existing code? I'm guessing there is a graphical way of doing it too, so I would like to know both methods: GUI in the MSVC++ IDE and command line. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I never really thought about what happens to my C++ code when I compile it. Now I see it's no trivial matter...