Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Distance learning (UK)

Started by Mageborn Feb 26, 2008 at 3:38 AM 10 replies 1.9k views
Original Post
Mageborn
Mageborn
I tried looking on computeach to find courses to help learn C++ but they phoned me and said they dont do C++ anymore because its to old, they only do c#.net or vb.net Does anyone know any UK based distance learning courses to learn C++. The reason i ask is because i live on an island and we dont have a Uni here to go to that does it, i did a programming course at the college here and passed with Distinction in Theory and Practice, that was using vb6 but i now want to get into C++ for game development. Hope someone can help.
-indirectX-
-indirectX-
Hello,
As you've already had tuition in VB, I don't think you would need to go on another course for C++. Buy a teach yourself book so you can get to learn the syntax and perhaps the ins and outs of object oriented programming then you're away.
If you get stuck, there is plenty of help on gamedev.net and tutorials everywhere.

Good luck!
--------------------------------www.hughosborne.co.uk[email=hugh.osborne@googlemail.com]hugh.osborne@googlemail.com[/email]
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
To be honest, I wouldn't bother learning C++ from a uni or some other course. It's perfectly possible to learn C++ from books and online tutorials (It's what I did). I only had one C++ book (Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days, Ugh) and the rest I learnt from online stuff. There's pleanty of resources out there, and GameDev.Net is a great place for help too, so long as you show some initiative rather than post "How to I make a MMORPG in C++ in a week?" and similar topics [smile]
Pickl3d
Pickl3d
Where in the UK are you, I'm in the remote Highlands of Scotland - but learning C++ on my own accord was a case of following some good books on the subject (many moons ago).

There are also a few good C++ video tuition packages out there on the web such as "Keystone Learning" and "VTC Training".

You might enjoy one of the game genre C++ beginner books which ease you into the language by way of creating fun games.

www.gamedev/books



Mageborn
Mageborn
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies. I live in the Isle of Man, small island in between england and ireland.

I was reading through these forums while at work today and i think i am going to learn python first. I havnt done any programming since i left college in May so i am probably a bit rusty. Still remember the general principles and methodologies etc.

I have quickly checked out the Python web site and when i get home tonight i will be able to look into it a bit more but does anyone know if i bought a cheap laptop would it have the power to handle the programming and compiling etc?

That might be a very silly question, so i apologise if it is lol.
swiftcoder
swiftcoder
Quote:
Original post by Mageborn
I was reading through these forums while at work today and i think i am going to learn python first.

Congratulations, that is a very wise move.

Quote:
I have quickly checked out the Python web site and when i get home tonight i will be able to look into it a bit more but does anyone know if i bought a cheap laptop would it have the power to handle the programming and compiling etc?

That might be a very silly question, so i apologise if it is lol.

Absolutely, any recent computer will have plenty of power. The only caveat is that if you want to do cutting-edge 3D graphics (in any language), you will need to get a decent graphics card (usually not a feature of cheap laptops), for 2D and casual 3D however, any new machine will do fine.
Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]
Mageborn
Mageborn
Thank you Swiftcoder for the reply.

I was just wondering also i have seen alot of people mention Computer Science degree on these boards, i am guessing it is an American Degree, is there an equivelant UK degree? The reason i ask this is because i work as an IT Recruitment Specialist for a Recruitment Agency and we rarley get asked for specific qualifications when it comes to our programming positions. For instance below is a job spec we currently have:

EXPEREINCED SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
LOCATION: Isle of Man
SALARY: £31,000.00 - £38,500.00 PER ANNUM

Our client is looking for experienced Microsoft and Web Software Developer to work in their busy offices in the Isle of Man.

The ideal candidate will be self motivated individual with a proven track record, a quick learner with excellent verbal and written communication skills.

The ideal candidate will have the following:

• 5+ Years experience within the I.T industry
• 3+ Years developer experience using VB6 and SQL to develop n-tier applications.
• 2 – 4 years experience in Web Development using ASP and/or ASP .NET to build web services.
• A Minimum of 4 years experience in object orientated programming and analysis.
• Expereince in utlising UML for data and object modelling.
• Knowledge of the software Delivery Life Cycle process and working within an applications delivery methodology.

Bonus Skills:

• A minmum of four years experience developing applictions using VB.NET and/or C Sharp (developing n-tier applications)
• Expereince in developing Java or Java 2 based applications and services.
• Knowledge of the Websphere/J2EE development environment.
• Expereince in Cobol development under AS400.

________________________________________________________________________________

Is it different for the game industry in the UK, do they require specific Degree's etc or is expereince taken over Degree's?

Hope someone can help and cheers.
Wan
Wan
I don't know about the UK, but the more experience is required, the less the actual degree tends to matter. I've seen a lot of job descriptions requiring an academic or equal degree without specifying which one. Someone with a masters degree in political science is probably not going to apply anyway, but people like mathematicians or physicist could still be good candidates.
Antheus
Antheus
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
To be honest, I wouldn't bother learning C++ from a uni or some other course. It's perfectly possible to learn C++ from books and online tutorials (It's what I did). I only had one C++ book (Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days, Ugh) and the rest I learnt from online stuff. There's pleanty of resources out there, and GameDev.Net is a great place for help too, so long as you show some initiative rather than post "How to I make a MMORPG in C++ in a week?" and similar topics [smile]


I'd suggest the exact opposite. Learn C++ in some actual learning environment.

Of all the languages and platforms, C++ is "Sauron the deceiver". In all modern managed languages, you can't really break anything. In C++, you'll find a practice and idiom, and you'll see it works fine. Until someone with experience will point out your 100 line code has 437 hidden pitfalls in it. Despite the fact it works.

In C++, getting something to work is not considerably more complex than VB. But getting it to work means something completely different.

And to understand some of the quirks, a somewhat solid CS foundation is almost mandatory.

But yes, it's possible to teach oneself anything.

Quote:
Is it different for the game industry in the UK, do they require specific Degree's etc or is expereince taken over Degree's?


TBH, that's the usual ad for "unqualified" work force. A MSCP is usually enough to get through such interviews, since B2B web shop market isn't known to rely on technical competence, but more on availability of cheap workforce and ability to perform tasks without any context.

While the ad seems pretty detailed, it really doesn't require any kind of in-depth technical expertise. The salary depicts that.

[Edited by - Antheus on February 26, 2008 10:52:33 AM]
hubby
hubby
have you looked at the Open University?

i know that they certainly used to do C++ courses as i did one. they were pushing Java pretty hard by the time i stopped so you may be out of luck by now though

books wise, C++ Primer is very good, as is C++ for Game Developers and Game Coding Complete
Kylotan
Kylotan
Quote:
Original post by Mageborn
I was just wondering also i have seen alot of people mention Computer Science degree on these boards, i am guessing it is an American Degree, is there an equivelant UK degree?


Here in the UK, there are plenty of Computer Science degrees, but they're not as popular as Software Engineering, or plain 'Computing' degrees (which are pretty much 50/50 between Computer Science and Software Engineering). There are some variations such as Information Systems, Software Systems, etc. But they're still pretty common here.

When I was in the market for jobs, pretty much everywhere wanted a computer related degree.
Kylotan
Kylotan
Quote:
Original post by Antheus
While the ad seems pretty detailed, it really doesn't require any kind of in-depth technical expertise. The salary depicts that.


I'm not sure how relevant that is though, when talking about degrees. Having a computing or computer science degree isn't going to raise your salary much when it's pretty much a requirement for 90% of positions, and £31,000 isn't bad at all.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.