Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

programmer - 2D retro shooter

Started by basement Apr 20, 2008 at 3:21 AM 4 replies 1k views
Original Post
basement
basement
Team name: kampfpanzer-game.org Project name: kampfpanzer ("battle tank(s)") Brief description: I started working on kampfpanzer almost 3 years ago, but the actual time I worked on the game is probably not more than a month or two. I wanted to write a game engine with an arcade/emulator feel to it. I grew up with the Atari and C64 so I'm very much influenced by games like Commando, 1942. kampfpanzer will be a very short but hard to beat game. The game is split into three stages (desert, jungle, city environments). Each stage has a boss level and that's it. There is an experimental network mode but I'm not sure we should work on it any further for the time being. I tried different control schemes for the game but in the end I always came back to WASD+mouse. I don't think there is any better way to control a tank and its turret at the same time. Target aim: The game will be free to play and all our code will be released under the GPL. It is relatively easy to create mods with the game engine and I would like to see some cool spin-off projects made with this engine. Compensation: None, but I'm willing to send some pocket money for books if you need any. Technology: The game framework is written in C using libraries such as OpenGL and SDL. The game is also written in C. Overall the game would be very portable if it weren't for the WASD+Mouse controls. For example, I'm porting the game to maemo linux for my Nokia n810 device right now but it is hard to design a control scheme for platforms like this. Talent needed: I need a motivated C programmer to help finishing the game. The game compiles fine on Linux, Windows and Mac OSX. I used to use Visual Studio but nowadays I'm using the NetBeans IDE on linux. If you have a background in game AI that would be a big plus. The game also needs a system for scripted enemy patterns/waves. I will be able to work on the game a few hours per week. With your help we migth be able to release the game some time around summer. Team structure: You: Programmer (AI, tools, effects, pick your own tasks) Me: Lead Programmer, Game/Level Design, Website, anything else We'll be using Mantis for tracking bugs and features. Website: Website Forum: Demo Download (old) Email: team AT kampfpanzer-game.org Previous Work by Team: I've worked in the local games industry for a years. Since then I'm a web developer and only do game stuff as a hobby. Additional Info: Please note that the demo version is a rather old tech demo and there have been many changes made since then. Feedback: any [Edited by - basement on April 22, 2008 10:26:01 AM]
Leaedas
Leaedas
Sounds cool, but the demo gives me a runtime error.
Aiursrage
Aiursrage
Its a good game though quite hard
I dream hard of helping people.
basement
basement
Thanks. There's a chance the game won't run on Windows Vista at all at the moment. The dmeo also doesn't seem to work in wine.
Leaedas
Leaedas
Yeah, I have Windows Vista.
Maybe you forgot some needed files to load properly on vista, what compiler are you using?
basement
basement
The game probably crashes on Vista because of a user permission problem (the game tries to create log files directly in the game directory). The demo was built using Visual Studio 7.1.

I'll get this fixed with the next update. The programming position is still open by the way :)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.