Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

A few good game programming books.

Started by -Datriot- May 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM 4 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
-Datriot-
-Datriot-
I've read Beginning OpenGL Programming and have programmed a few small games using C++ and have found the experience challenging yet very fun. From what I've seen on this board there seems to be some experienced game programmers here and I plan to become a professional one day, so was wondering what books you'd recommend on the topic of 3D game programming to expand my knowledge in more advanced areas. ( preferably not tailored to a specific API, but is not a neccesity. ) Any help on this matter is appreciated. :)
deadstar
deadstar
Absolute top of my list is "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development", it's got me through some pretty sticky parts of developing my engine.

I have "Ultimate 3d Game Engine Design and Architecture" which is an absolute gem.

I'd also recommend the OpenGL books by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins.
"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2   A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk
-Datriot-
-Datriot-
Ah, I've searched for those books and their exactly what I was looking for, not too expensive either. Thanks for that.
Sol Blue
Sol Blue
I really like Game Coding Complete. I feel like it's given me a good big-picture view of what goes into a game.
Firecore
Firecore
You might want to take a look at Frank Luna's Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c : A shader approach.
It does not teach game programming per se, but it teaches how to apply d3d to game programming and various techniques which you will need to know.
CJones
CJones
I am hoping to build a game in my spare time as a hobby and was just wondering if any of the books mentioned above give an insight into object orientated design and classes in c++ when it comes to game design. I understand the concepts totally, however, don't have a clue on how i would use them in game design as the stuff i did at university (in computer graphics modules) was all written in one class and pretty straight forward.


do any of the books above give advice or can anyone recommend a different book to me that will help?
p.s. i should point out that even though i am a developer and have used opengl a lot in the past, i have never done much game programming (the concept of tiles, etc. are new to me)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.