Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Ideas for adding functionality to SDL

Started by timorgizer May 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM 4 replies 550+ views
Original Post
timorgizer
timorgizer
Hello everybody I've started the research for my final year project, and I decided to add some functionality to SDL. The project is supposed to deal with audio and/or video functionality,and so far the ideas are: * Implement ray tracing functionality. * Add collision detection (with possible usage of a physics engine such as Open Dynamics Engine) I'd like to hear some oppinions about such an ideas, and if someone is familiar with SDL, and has some other ideas,tips, etc - Please throw it at me!
MJP
MJP
I'd say collision detection and/or physics would be 100x more useful for your average game than ray-tracing.
Hnefi
Hnefi
I second MJP's comment. I've spent several days implementing a voxelization-based collision detection engine; if SDL could have saved me the hassle, it'd have been great.

If you could implement generalistic collision-detection primitives and routines into SDL, I'm sure many would use it.
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.
Structural
Structural
Let 'em first merge back the multiple OpenGL windows support to the stable release. ;-)

Apart from that, I believe video and audio capturing might be within the scope of a "Simple DirectMedia Layer". Collision detection and ray tracing would not be within that scope in my opinion as they are not very "media"-ish.

Since SDL is mostly wrapper code you could wrap portAudio for audio capturing. Video capturing is more difficult to get cross-platform though, and dealing with codecs might be a good challenge.



As a sidenote, and personal opinion: I don't think wrapping ODE (or portAudio for that matter) in SDL is enough of a challenge for a final year project. I don't know if your final year project in Israel is like the final internship I did at school (half a year, fulltime, one project/subject), but in that period of time wrapping ODE is a no-brainer.
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
timorgizer
timorgizer
The force feedback for SDL is a project on Google Summer of Code, it's already taken, so nothing to do for me there...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.