Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Rendermonkey preview-win totally blank!

Started by Rockard May 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM 3 replies 5.3k views
Original Post
Rockard
Rockard
My setup: Notebook Amilo XA2528 with win vista Geforce 8600M GS, 256 mbyte After having programmed my opengl 2dengine for a long time, I felt it was time to dig into gpu programming to get better performance and for some nice effects! I found out about Rendermonkey and tried it out just to test some features and so on. I loaded up some examples and they compiled just fine with no errors, but then - they all turn up blank! The preview-window shows nothing, it's just totally black. I can turn on the boundingbox and triad and stuff, but there is no content. I have not tested all examples, but I have tested most of them, and only the FUR demo I can get to work... somehow? I don't think it looks right. It seems like some functions is missing from it, as there is no smoothness to it. look: I fired up glew, and it tells me that OpenGL version 2.1.1 is supported and the shader stuff looks fine. Any ideas? =(
V-man
V-man
I don't know. Perhaps there is something wrong with the OpenGL ES backend of RenderMonkey.
Did you try the examples in GL2 folder?
Moomin
Moomin
I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but that screenshot of a fur shader looks vaguely right. Its based on shells and the more shells you have the smoother it will be, add more shell layers and it will look smoother.
Rockard
Rockard
Augh! I was using the wrong examples. :S
Using the GL2 ones everything works fine!

Thanks V-man and Moomin!
Falk Schilling
Falk Schilling
Sry for digging out this old thread, but today I encountered a similar problem when I tried RenderMonkey's OGLES 2.0 shader examples and also found a workaround for this issue in the web.

I wrote a little C++ program and OpenGL ES 2.0 with some simple shaders and everything works fine (using GLES emulator), the very primitive shader runs perfectly.
As the next step I wanted to do some shader prototyping using RenderMonkey but I had always a blank preview window for the OGLES 2.0 examples - the DirectX HLSL and 'Desktop'-OpenGL examples worked very nicely instead.

This issue may occur when using newer NVidia graphic cards / drivers - I tested and confirmed this issue with a GTX285 and a GT220. As a workaround one may use the NVidia's NVEmulate tool to set the GLSL compiler device support to NV40.

The tool should be available at http://developer.nvidia.com/nvemulate.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.