Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

Compete in the 2008 Dream. Build. Play. Challenge

Started by JWalsh Jun 14, 2008 at 7:37 PM 12 replies 4k views
Original Post
JWalsh
JWalsh
Hail All, While I'm sure this has been posted to the GDNet newsroom by now, I really felt like it deserved some special attention here. So for those that are not aware, Microsoft is once again hosting the Dream. Build. Play. game development challenge. I frequently see group postings on here which are offering no pay or "pay upon funding." Well guess what, with the Dream. Build. Play. challenge your programming team has an opportunity to win $40,000 in prize money and a possible publishing contract for your Xbox 360 game on Xbox LIVE! So what are you waiting for? All you need to do is put together a game dev team from 1-7 people who are 16 years or older and reside within the allowed countries and territories. Beyond that, just download and install XNA Game Studio 2.0, build your amazing Xbox 360 game, and then submit it for review between September 1st and September 23rd. See the Dream. Build. Play. website for more information. I look forward to seeing more applications here in Help Wanted from teams building a game for this contest. Cheers! [Edited by - JWalsh on June 20, 2008 6:29:02 PM]
jbadams
jbadams
Heartily agreed, this is an excellent opportunity I'd love to see some of our members taking part in.
- Jason Astle-Adams
Wan
Wan
Quote:
Original post by JWalsh
reside within the allowed countries and territories

Quote:
http://www.dreambuildplay.com/main/rules.aspx
Residents of the Province of Quebec, Canada, and the following countries are ineligible to participate: Cuba; Iran; North Korea; Sudan; and Syria.


I can sort of see what's up with those last countries (you know, with the axis of evil and all). But what's so special about Quebec? They're not harboring any terrorists, are they? Or are its residents not allowed to participate in contests involving prize money?
acidwillburnyou
acidwillburnyou
Quote:
Original post by WanMaster
Quote:
Original post by JWalsh
reside within the allowed countries and territories

Quote:
http://www.dreambuildplay.com/main/rules.aspx
Residents of the Province of Quebec, Canada, and the following countries are ineligible to participate: Cuba; Iran; North Korea; Sudan; and Syria.


I can sort of see what's up with those last countries (you know, with the axis of evil and all). But what's so special about Quebec? They're not harboring any terrorists, are they? Or are its residents not allowed to participate in contests involving prize money?


Actually, I'm not 100% sure myself, but whenever we have contests on cereal boxes and stuff in Canada, Quebec is always excluded. I think it has something to do with their laws on prize money. I'd love to get this clarified.
dragov
dragov
Quote:
Original post by Karan Bhangui
Quote:
Original post by WanMaster
Quote:
Original post by JWalsh
reside within the allowed countries and territories

Quote:
http://www.dreambuildplay.com/main/rules.aspx
Residents of the Province of Quebec, Canada, and the following countries are ineligible to participate: Cuba; Iran; North Korea; Sudan; and Syria.


I can sort of see what's up with those last countries (you know, with the axis of evil and all). But what's so special about Quebec? They're not harboring any terrorists, are they? Or are its residents not allowed to participate in contests involving prize money?


Actually, I'm not 100% sure myself, but whenever we have contests on cereal boxes and stuff in Canada, Quebec is always excluded. I think it has something to do with their laws on prize money. I'd love to get this clarified.


It's because all contest and loteries must be help by Loto-Québec, wich is the national lotery system.

I'm from Quebec, and it s*ck. We can't enter any contest.
Daaark
Daaark
Quote:
Canada has unique laws for the Province of Quebec, and those laws preclude residents of Quebec from entering contests of this nature without the sponsor paying fees and undergoing a waiting period. We are not able to accommodate those requirements and therefore are forced to exclude Quebec residents, with regret.
Wan
Wan
I see, that's gotta suck :/
NickGravelyn
NickGravelyn
So now the question is how many GameDev members are entering? I know I will be entering a game into the contest. Anyone else giving it a shot?
Xyphyx
Xyphyx
I've got something in the works...

-Xy
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
I might be willing to offer up some of my audio talents and services to a team that has a great project in the works for the contest. If you need some good audio work- look me up! My time is very limited so I can only select one (maybe two) project(s) and will only sign on with a highly professional and dedicated team.

Thanks,

Nathan
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
remigius
remigius

We had something in the works last year, but either I botched our submission or it wasn't as fun to play as we'd have hoped. We did spend entirely too much time tweaking the graphics and level editor [wink]



As for this year, who knows... [smile]
Phenoca
Phenoca
I don't have experience making 3D games, and I am already committed.
However, if anyone wants a game-tester, I am available :)
Phenoca
Phenoca
I don't have experience making 3D games, and I am already committed.
However, if anyone wants a game-tester, I am available on PC :)
bam104
bam104
I'm an artist currently doing the prep work (GDD/Test level) for an entry before looking for a fairly experienced programmer to team up with. If any programmers with XNA demo's are interested in hearing more just drop me a PM.

It's a simple but unique idea.

Edit: GDD Ver 1.0 Done.

[Edited by - bam104 on July 8, 2008 4:02:49 PM]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.