Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GameDev Compilation Book

Started by programmermattc Jun 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM 19 replies 4.7k views
Original Post
programmermattc
programmermattc
Every once in awhile I feel the need to look into my GPU Gems book and prove to myself I'm still completely retarded. But, I was thinking a cool book would be like that but maybe not as complex topics? Maybe more complex? I don't know, but would anyone be interested in writing something for it? Anything related to game programming (maybe a few design articleS) would be fine (scene management, culling, etc...)
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
programmermattc
programmermattc
Quote:
Original post by Gage64
The Game Programming Gems series does that already.


Even so, this book could be even less advanced than some of the topics in those, and cheaper.
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
Gage64
Gage64
Quote:
Original post by programmermattc
Quote:
Original post by Gage64
The Game Programming Gems series does that already.


Even so, this book could be even less advanced than some of the topics in those, and cheaper.


In that case I agree. It would have been great to see more books that assume relatively basic knowledge of game programming and cover a wide variety of intermediate topics (but in-depth, not just an overview). This is the only book that I know of that fits that description, but judging by the reviews it looks like it could have been better.

EDIT: BTW, there's a sample chapter of it available here. It covers action-oriented AI.

EDIT 2: Actually it looks like this book somewhat fits the description as well.
Spoonbender
Spoonbender
Quote:
Original post by programmermattc
Quote:
Original post by Gage64
The Game Programming Gems series does that already.


Even so, this book could be even less advanced than some of the topics in those, and cheaper.


Perhaps what you need in that case is *general* programming books then? It only makes sense to work on game programming once you've already got the programming part nailed down.

(Of course this won't solve the "cheaper" part, but in most cases, it would cover the things you needed to learn before jumping at any advanced game programming books)
stimarco
stimarco
Quote:
Original post by programmermattc
Quote:
Original post by Gage64
The Game Programming Gems series does that already.


Even so, this book could be even less advanced than some of the topics in those, and cheaper.


Writing, typesetting and layout only need to be done once. The price of a book is therefore mostly that of publishing, printing, distribution and retail overheads.
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
coldacid
coldacid
And here I thought that this thread would be about publishing some of the best threads on GDNet for all the world to read (on paper). Silly me.

Seriously, though, this might be an interesting, good idea to try out. The only things that gets me are how do we keep it small (to reduce the cost for buyers), how do we ensure it has quality content (no "hurr hurr c++ ftw" crap), and who would publish such a thing?
programmermattc
programmermattc
I wrote a bunch of XNA tutorials this last year in school and realized that they would make a decent book so I started putting them together and started working on it through LuLu.com (self-publishing I've gone through before). I realized technology books are easier for me to write rather than fiction and still get a decent length book. Then I realized, other than these XNA tutorials, a real development book would take quite awhile to write which is no problem but I feel a book with articles from the community would serve a better purpose than a single author rambling on about topics.

If anyone is interested I'd gladly edit it and review the content with a few others if anyone wants to (to filter out the "hurr hurr c++ ftw" crap). Depending on the target audience we could publish through LuLu (and subsequently Amazon) which could keep the costs down a bit if it is only sold for printing prices (no profits made).
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
Ravuya
Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by coldacid
And here I thought that this thread would be about publishing some of the best threads on GDNet for all the world to read (on paper). Silly me.
Finally, American religious conservatives would have a new book to burn!
deathtrap
deathtrap
Quote:
Original post by coldacid
And here I thought that this thread would be about publishing some of the best threads on GDNet for all the world to read (on paper). Silly me.


I agree, we need to publish the Which direction do you wipe, pee all over bathroom and on spider, and do you urinate in the shower threads. We can't keep this genius all to ourselves!
Gaiiden
Gaiiden
Well, it's nice to know that people would be interested in something along these lines.

That's all I can say [grin][grin][grin] Teasing is fun...
Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net
Driv3MeFar
Driv3MeFar
Quote:
Original post by programmermattc
But, I was thinking a cool book would be like that but maybe not as complex topics? Maybe more complex? I don't know, but would anyone be interested in writing something for it?


Writing something for what? A book that's kind of like GPU Gems, or kind of like GP Gems, but maybe more complex, or maybe less complex, for less money?

...Right [rolleyes].
johnhattan
johnhattan
Looks like you're not looking for a single book, but perhaps several.
(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Finally, American religious conservatives would have a new book to burn!

Tonight on Fox: Are Singletons Corrupting America's Youth?

Back on topic: Is there a particular aspect of game development you're interested in seeing in book form? Game dev is too broad to cover in a single book. Most of the beginner game programming books I've read seem to skimp over a lot of important material, and the advanced ones are usually focused on a very narrow area.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
Tonight on Fox: Are Singletons Corrupting America's Youth?
I'm still surprised Fox didn't jump on Obama's strong stance against bubble sort. They could get on some religious computer scientists to assert that big-O notation is just a theory and that only the Bible can tell us how to predict algorithm quality.
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I'm still surprised Fox didn't jump on Obama's strong stance against bubble sort. They could get on some religious computer scientists to assert that big-O notation is just a theory and that only the Bible can tell us how to predict algorithm quality.

Now you've got me curious just what is the properly sanctioned sorting technique as approved by Christian scripture. I know that in the Day of Judgement, Jesus is supposed to sort people into the blessed and the cursed. Quote from Matthew 25:31-33.
Quote:
31 ‘When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and He will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left.

However there isn't much detail into the algorithm Jesus will use. It implies he's using some sort of bucket algorithm, but I've also heard tell of people using something called "The Border Collie Method" for sorting sheep from goats. However I've never seen any sample code for this.
DevFred
DevFred
Quote:
Original post by deathtrap
I agree, we need to publish the Which direction do you wipe, pee all over bathroom and on spider, and do you urinate in the shower threads. We can't keep this genius all to ourselves!

Links please, I'm dying of laughter already :)
Prinz Eugn
Prinz Eugn
Quote:
Original post by Gaiiden
Well, it's nice to know that people would be interested in something along these lines.

That's all I can say [grin][grin][grin] Teasing is fun...


Huh.
-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal
Gage64
Gage64
Quote:
Original post by DevFred
Quote:
Original post by deathtrap
I agree, we need to publish the Which direction do you wipe, pee all over bathroom and on spider, and do you urinate in the shower threads. We can't keep this genius all to ourselves!

Links please, I'm dying of laughter already :)


Spider pee.
deathtrap
deathtrap
Quote:
Original post by DevFred
Quote:
Original post by deathtrap
I agree, we need to publish the Which direction do you wipe, pee all over bathroom and on spider, and do you urinate in the shower threads. We can't keep this genius all to ourselves!

Links please, I'm dying of laughter already :)


Do you pee in the shower

Can't find the last one.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.