Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

MMO Suggestions

Started by Surrix Jun 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM 9 replies 2.6k views
Original Post
Surrix
Surrix
I've been missing the interactive experience of a good MMO for a while and wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Probably the game I had the most fun playing was Ultima Online before EA got its hands on it and it went down hill. I also liked Final Fantasy XI, but waiting for parties got old and the time commitment seemed like a lot. I don't mind fighting, but I would like other options to like crafting. Ultima Online blended fighting and crafting very well I thought. I have done the 14 day trial of WoW, but it was hard to look past the graphics. They seemed too childish to me. I have looked at EVE and it looks good, but haven't actually played it at all. So based on the above does anyone have any suggestions of an MMO to play?
asp_
asp_
Age of Conan maybe?
Mathachew
Mathachew
Guild Wars? I like it, but I'm moving out of playing MMOs. You can buy a 10 hour/14 day trial for $2 on eBay (unless you find someone who bought any of the four games that still has a trial key). If you happen to be interested, I'm looking to sell my account (which has three of the four games). It has more realistic graphics in comparison to WoW, but it's not as popular. You also don't have to pay to play.
Sirisian
Sirisian
I'm waiting for Huxley, Stargate Worlds, and The Agency. Not many good MMO games out at the moment worth playing except Planetside. I guess if you like RPG games though then yeah there's some out there that are fun for a few weeks.

Played WoW for two weeks when it first came out. Kind of boring and repetitive. Eve is the definition of a grind so if you like mining and spending large amounts of time doing small things then it's perfect. There's a bunch of people on this forum that play it.

I'd say go play Age of Conan. I've heard it's one of the best games out there right now.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/rankHype/sOrder/desc

listed in order of rating.
serratemplar
serratemplar
Warhammer Online looks very good, IMO. I've been following its development for a while and so far I haven't been disappointed.

Here's a comprehensive overview of the game: link.
oliii
oliii
Guild Wars is dying unfortunately. And it's not a true MMORPG in the purest sense. It's usually quests and missions in a group of 8.

Another one is city of heroes, city of vilains. But Conan is gathering up speed.
Everything is better with Metal.
brandonman
brandonman
If you're interested in star wars, you could try out starwars galaxies. I played that for 2 years, and quit in February 2007. The player-base is slowly getting more and more sparse. I remember when I played a trial this year, I had trouble finding any people, except the main hotspots, which were nearly desolate. Very sad that the game went downhill, it was very fun. I am currently waiting on Infinity. Ysaneya's (From here on the gamedev site) working on that one.
Iron Chef Carnage
Iron Chef Carnage
EvE's main strength is the fact that a half-dozen players with moderate character skills and almost no money can get into PvP and win fights against extremely rich, powerful guys. Imagine if, in WoW, a 5-man party of level 15-17 guys could kill and eat a 70 with full purple kit. However, if you want to solo, you'd better have a real taste for repetitive missions, mob-grinding or market trading, because that's where the money comes from.
Reddox
Reddox
Stay away from AOC. Unless you like the look and feel and major bugs of old games from the 1980s. This game is still in alpha testing unfortunately :(

To answer your question ...

EVE is the top on my list for space based MMOs. Despite a nice economy, the game is riddled with script kiddies (PVP GANKERS). And is ran by scripters (they use python client side), who do not know the difference between between "source" and "binary". (Several slashdot articles on them).

WOW is still in the lead (due to shear size) for the Fantasy realm. However, if you have been on it for more then a month, you would realize Blizzard is trying to shut down the game by constantly nerfing the game beyond playable. As for the graphics .. I think you and I are several generations apart :) When I was a young'in, these were serious graphics. Ever seen the old (and I mean old as in 1980s and earlier) graphics?

WAR isn't too bad (yes I can say that because the NDA does not cover this ...). And it definitely is better then WOW on many aspects. Plus, it was in development long before WOW (but thats another story ..). It's now out yet, but due in a few months .. something to watch out for.

Age of Conan? Don't pay to alpha test that game ... it's that bad.

Archlord died a long time ago. To many power hungry GMs ruined the game.

Guild Wars? ArenaSoft is quickly following Blizzard's footsteps in destroying that game. It is a shadow of it's former self.

For 2D games, there isn't that many out there that have reached critical mass .. *shrug*

matt_j
matt_j
Whoa whoa whoa. Where was that pixel-art MMO that someone from GDNet was working on?

edit: http://www.frostwinds.com/
by Thevenin

hmm...
Crazyfool
Crazyfool
Age of Conan is not a bad game, but when certain issues go live that are pretty big bugs, it's hard to enjoy the game. I am talking of course about the cotton harvesting and the instance swapping bugs =/ (plus many more, increasing certain skills actually made them worse - the Endurance or whatever skill actually made my barbarian use more stamina while sprinting).

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.