Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

XNA Skinned Bones Distortion

Started by SquareDanceSteve Aug 5, 2008 at 6:36 PM 0 replies 2k views
Original Post
SquareDanceSteve
SquareDanceSteve
I'm using 3ds max 2009 and the included fbx export plugin. I'm importing to into XNA 2 using the content manager set to SkinnedModelPipeline. The bone's scales appear to be distorted and irregular. Character mesh exported without bones. Character exported with bones using the SkinnedModelPipeline and rendered using the skinned mesh sample. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?
-----------------www.stevemata.com
remigius
remigius

If you're using the unaltered skinning sample from the XNA site, I guess it's safe to assume the code is correct. If you also don't get any error messages when importing (that is, when 'building' the content), there might be something off with the skeleton hierarchy. I can't be sure, but the wrists look to be at the right places with only the elbows really messed up.

Other things to check are whether you're not using more bones than the sample supports (max 55 IIRC) and the number of bone influences per vertex is also <= 4. As I recall the sample/importer should warn you if either of these is the case, but it can never hurt to check and make sure.

You could also try upgrading to the latest FBX exporter (from here), which seemed to remove a few quirks we were running into a while back.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.