Original Post
🔒 Locked
John Carmack's quakecon 2008 keynote
Advertisement
that man can talk forever
crappy questions at the end.
[Edited by - RivieraKid on August 7, 2008 2:24:30 PM]
crappy questions at the end.
[Edited by - RivieraKid on August 7, 2008 2:24:30 PM]
Thanks for the heads up. I always enjoy listening to him go on, and on, and on...[fade in Journey]...
Yeah, the questions are awful. Other than that it was fun and interesting. I should go to Quakecon next year and meet him :D
Quote:
Original post by matt_j
Yeah, the questions are awful. Other than that it was fun and interesting. I should go to Quakecon next year and meet him :D
When you do try to conceal your erection
Huh. I've never actually read or listened to anything from Carmack before (I always sorta passed it over - why should I care, right?) but it was interesting enough. I lol'd when the one guy finally came out and gave him a chair. :P
The poor camera guy, too. [lol] You could almost feel his frustration when looking all around for some guy in the audience to ask his (really stupid) question.
[Edited by - Benjamin Heath on August 7, 2008 10:54:14 PM]
The poor camera guy, too. [lol] You could almost feel his frustration when looking all around for some guy in the audience to ask his (really stupid) question.
[Edited by - Benjamin Heath on August 7, 2008 10:54:14 PM]
Quote:
Original post by fpsgamer Quote:
Original post by matt_j
Yeah, the questions are awful. Other than that it was fun and interesting. I should go to Quakecon next year and meet him :D
When you do try to conceal your erection
Like his game engines it's big, powerful, and delivers a pleasing experience :P
I expected his voice to be a little deeper o_O
I couldn't watch the video anyways, the echo in that room was annoying enough to put me off.
I couldn't watch the video anyways, the echo in that room was annoying enough to put me off.
Concerning the stupidity of the audience's questions;
I remember John Carmack's previous keynote where he got the question: "Is Rage using DirectX 10?" (not an exact quote), eventhough Carmack had spent the last hour and a half explaining that the engine would use OpenGL, and the pro's and con's that would come with it.
In my opinion this is just a symptom of an underlying problem; most people have no idea what either DirecX or OpenGL REALLY is, even in laymen's terms - or even less that DirectX and OpenGL can be used synonomously. I wouldn't call this stupid since most people are spoon fed that DirectX Y will provide better graphics than DirectX Y-Z, when there really is alot more to it. As a result, the general opinion about what DirectX is has developed into "a PROGRAM that provides GREAT graphics for GAMES". So, as long as you throw around "DirectX *LATEST VERSION*" when talking about your graphics engine people will interpret this as "the graphics will be the best you've ever seen". If you don't, it will be interpreted as "the graphics will be moderate at best".
I don't know if I'm just ranting around like a crazy person, or if anyone really agrees with me on this. :P
I remember John Carmack's previous keynote where he got the question: "Is Rage using DirectX 10?" (not an exact quote), eventhough Carmack had spent the last hour and a half explaining that the engine would use OpenGL, and the pro's and con's that would come with it.
In my opinion this is just a symptom of an underlying problem; most people have no idea what either DirecX or OpenGL REALLY is, even in laymen's terms - or even less that DirectX and OpenGL can be used synonomously. I wouldn't call this stupid since most people are spoon fed that DirectX Y will provide better graphics than DirectX Y-Z, when there really is alot more to it. As a result, the general opinion about what DirectX is has developed into "a PROGRAM that provides GREAT graphics for GAMES". So, as long as you throw around "DirectX *LATEST VERSION*" when talking about your graphics engine people will interpret this as "the graphics will be the best you've ever seen". If you don't, it will be interpreted as "the graphics will be moderate at best".
I don't know if I'm just ranting around like a crazy person, or if anyone really agrees with me on this. :P
Nah, that sounds pretty accurate.
Did he do that whole thing with no notes at all? For a hard-core coder geek, that's seriously impressive.
anyone know what VSD id tech 5 uses, for rage anyway? I know quake 1 used bsp tree with a pvs and doom 3 used portals.
Heh JNT that's expected :).
Seeing as how Rage is in open terrain maybe he switched to something octree-ish...AABB? OBB?
Seeing as how Rage is in open terrain maybe he switched to something octree-ish...AABB? OBB?
IMHO, he should start out his presentation by just showing a Powerpoint screen with a black background that screams This engine will not use DirectX... and then continiue from there like;
'Furthermore, another reason why this engine will not use DirectX is...'
'Furthermore, another reason why this engine will not use DirectX is...'
Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Did he do that whole thing with no notes at all? For a hard-core coder geek, that's seriously impressive.
It's a trait of someone who is entusiastic about what they do. Hell, i could talk for an hour on my rendering engine if i wanted to.
Topic Locked
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
Sign in to reply to this topic.
Advertisement