Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

DOS. Specifically, articles about it.

Started by Benjamin Heath Aug 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM 4 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
In a recent discovery, I have found that DJGPP works perfectly well under dosbox. "Huh," I thought. I am intrigued. To feed the subsequent spurt of blatant masochism, I'm searching for old articles on DOS graphics programming, which had already passed by the time I got around to programming in favor of DirectX, etc. I have Abrash's Black Book bookmarked over at byte.com, and there are the little tutorials here on this site about Mode 13h. Want moar. So, what have you? Any links or articles would be greatly appreciated. [smile] Thanks.
Nypyren
Nypyren
Search for 'VESA linear framebuffer' and/or "VBE" - if I remember correctly, it's pretty nice to deal with compared to the previous graphics stuff.
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
Will do. [smile] I located the old Asphyxia tutorials, which is a great find again.

I have found one problem specifically with make. It apparently doesn't find a directory's Makefile (probably due to case-sensitivity under DOS *sigh*) and so that needs to be specified with make -f.
crowley9
crowley9
I found this great site and this on the same site. It seems to be mostly pascal with some inline assembler but it is clear what interrupt and port operations are being performed. It covers Mode X, Vesa, palette cycling, bank switching, etc.

BTW, I think Turbo C is free - you don't need any of that "new fangled" 32-bit protected mode stuff. ;-)
Nutter
Nutter
Here's a couple that I can still remember (and find)...

3DICA
STEEL's
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by crowley9
BTW, I think Turbo C is free - you don't need any of that "new fangled" 32-bit protected mode stuff. ;-)


Antique Software: Turbo C version 2.01
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.