Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Tree dies...

Started by WinRad Aug 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM 22 replies 2.9k views
Original Post
WinRad
WinRad
Hello guys, Recently a tree from my garden... actually its on the boundary of mine and my neibhours' garden... fell over and hit my neibhours' gutter pipes(which were obviously damaged). My family think he might make us pay for something that's not our fault so we were just wondering if by law we do have to pay because like I said it wasn't our fault... it was just years of weather that did it. Edit - Also if I tell the council would they automatically take it away for me? Thanks. [Edited by - WinRad on August 15, 2008 2:43:25 PM]
Sneftel
Sneftel
Depends. Did you spin AIDS?
Spodi
Spodi
I guess it depends who's probably it is on. If it is really on both of your properties, then he may have a hard time blaming it on you since it is his tree, too. But if it is on your property and considered your tree, then yeah, probably your fault. The tree is your responsibility.

Or you can just roshambo, making the loser pay.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Luckless
Luckless
Trees get old and fall down. It is the natural life cycle of a tree. If they have not put a complaint in about the condition of the tree before it fell then they can't come complaining to you about an act of god.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
WinRad
WinRad
Heh thanks for the reply, like the last part :D. Anyway I guess I'll try that because the tree loved the owners so much it couldn't follow the line "till death do us part" and went to his house even in its afterlife XD.

Sneftel: Don't talk such crap because that really takes the piss dude seriously.

Thanks Spodi :).
WinRad
WinRad
Oh sory Talroth didn't see your reply there :). Thanks for that and thank god the trees with them :p.

Thanks :).
BleedingBlue
BleedingBlue
Yeah like has been mentioned before, if it is strictly on your property, then its your job to maintain it, and he does not need to file a complaint before hand to lodge a valid complaint about it this time.

So ultimately, if your property damages his, it is your responsibility. If the tree is his property, then you're not going to be held liable.
Nypyren
Nypyren
Seems like someone's insurance (homeowner's/renter's) should cover it. I'm not certain about that, though.

You DO have insurance...RIGHT?
brent_w
brent_w
If the tree was on your property it is your responsibility and you (or your insurance) will be responsible for any damages.
Colin Jeanne
Colin Jeanne
Perhaps you should wait to see if your neighbor actually asks you to pay and if you still disagree that you should then perhaps you should consult a real lawyer.
coldacid
coldacid
I had trees once, too. I had to cut them down to make beds for everyone as well as a bucket. There weren't many trees, and later on when more people started to arrive, I had to buy beds from the itinerant merchants.

I think next time I head out into the wilderness, I'll remember to bring logs with me. Or at least more barrels.
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
This is almost like a zen kōan. "If a tree falls in the 'burbs, but there is noone there to claim it as their property, does it cause an insurance claim?"
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Depends. Did you spin AIDS?


Quote:
Original post by WinRad
Sneftel: Don't talk such crap because that really takes the piss dude seriously.


I love the nature of inside jokes. To us, that's a joke, but then to everyone else who's never seen boolean's comic, it's an AIDS joke, which then makes it sound horrible.

Just where is that comic anyway? Isn't it backed up anywhere?
coldacid
coldacid
Quote:
Original post by Benjamin Heath
Just where is that comic anyway? Isn't it backed up anywhere?

Apparently he still has them, just hasn't got them hosted. I'd have no problem putting them up for him though; it's not like my site burns much bandwidth at the moment, anyway.
Driv3MeFar
Driv3MeFar
Quote:
Original post by Benjamin Heath
I love the nature of inside jokes. To us, that's a joke, but then to everyone else who's never seen boolean's comic, it's an AIDS joke, which then makes it sound horrible even funnier.
Lode
Lode
Quote:
Original post by phantom
I had some trees.. once...


WTH, that post didn't make any sense! Were those trees on your property?
kevtimc
kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Lode
Quote:
Original post by phantom
I had some trees.. once...


WTH, that post didn't make any sense! Were those trees on your property?

I skimmed through Phantom's post last night and went back to read it the next morning and half of the post was just gone!

Imagine my surprise when I wake up the next morning to only half a large string of text! I stopped dead in my tracks and thought "what the fuck?!?". I proceeded to flail my arms around Jack Sparrow style exclaiming, "strings of text don't just vanish! Where the hell is it?!?" I approached my desk, then darted for it in hopes that the words wouldn't have time to escape.

I ended up concluding that it was a lumberjack, or vampires sucking the binary from my internet tubes.
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
awww man, don't tell me they have gone digital... that would just su

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.