Original Post
Just wanted to bounce this off people to see what they think.... I have never been a fan of Hitpoints, it's not that I do not understand the use, I just think no matter what level you are you get whacked on a few times with a sword you should feel it or be going down...it lacks a certain realism. (I know some would argue realism has no place in Video Games)... I am working on this for a system to my game... The player would have a body point system based on their stats (Health Endurance, Strength)...This point system could increase in small amounts depending on the skills the player has chosen (Toughness, and the like) but overall would be very low and would not raise just because you have earned a new level of experience... These points would be divided to the major pares of the body (Chest Arms ect ect) So lets say you have 50 body points, your chest may have 15 points, Each Arm 10 until all the points are divided. Minus any new skills you have learned this would stay the same through out the game...Your Armor would act as a buffer to these... so if I am wearing chain mail, i would have will say for sake of arguments 20 armor points defending my chest... Combat would basically work like this...(I am still ruffing it out, so bare with me) First we would take in considerations if you could even hit your opponent...This is done by looking at your offensive attack rank vrs there defensive attack rank, and a die roll (which symbolizes the random luck that happens every once in a while) if your attack is stronger then their defense then you score a hit...simple enough Then the engine would take in consideration your attacking strength, and the weapon and make of the weapon vre thier armor rating on the part of the body targeted. to figure damage... the damage would be subtracted from the Armor rating first, and a small proportion would be taking by the body points, the greater damage the armor has the more damage the body takes... I am thinking this way if your low barbarian whos walking around with nothing but a loin cloth on, gets whacked with a battle axe, does not matter which level he is hes gonna feel it after the first blow...where your Knight who was smart enough to invest into plate mail is gonna take a few shots before hes howling out in pain... Now i realize an issue may occur in balance in game play as those who can and do wear armor are going to have a significant advantage in close combat (which in all reality should be)...I am thinking the way to balance that is by giving them advantages to ranged combat and fleeing skills equivalent to a character who specializes in close in fighting at same level.... In the end the game would come down to which skills you mastered and choose then a die roll and better hit points.... Any Ideas to help me flesh this out more ?