Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

If you are in Harbin, China...

Started by tHiSiSbOb Aug 21, 2008 at 9:41 AM 10 replies 3.1k views
Original Post
tHiSiSbOb
tHiSiSbOb
So am I and we should get together for a cup of coffee to discuss the finer points of programming in general or anything else, I guess.
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Sirisian
Sirisian
Couldn't resist putting this here.

On a more serious note I've only seen two people from china on here. Seems rare. Maybe there's a Chinese version of gamedev somewhere.
owl
owl
couldn't it be a beer in a strip-club?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
tHiSiSbOb
tHiSiSbOb
Not sure if there are many strip joints around here. Though in Beijing I did find some similar stuff. I will be in Beijing in a few days again so we could rendezvous there.

And that place is a bar, so the beer is a go.

Also,

Estoy pensando en viajar a Argentina el proximo verano. Si lo hago, podemos hacer lo que tu quieras.
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Avatar God
Avatar God
I really should have posted and hassled people more about all this when I was traveling. I didn't even think about trying to get in touch with GDNetters while I was in China (for a year). And I'm still pissed that I spent three days in the worst city in the world (Here's lookin' at ya, Brisbane!*) without meeting boolean, but I did meet Trapper_Zoid in Canberra, which was cool.

*Brisbane isn't that bad. But one of its 'suburbs' IS. And the trains are horrible.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Tayuke
Tayuke
Quote:
Original post by Avatar God
I really should have posted and hassled people more about all this when I was traveling. I didn't even think about trying to get in touch with GDNetters while I was in China (for a year). And I'm still pissed that I spent three days in the worst city in the world (Here's lookin' at ya, Brisbane!*) without meeting boolean, but I did meet Trapper_Zoid in Canberra, which was cool.

*Brisbane isn't that bad. But one of its 'suburbs' IS. And the trains are horrible.


...Woodridge? Yea, that area is abit...Hmmm...

And the Trains not THAT bad, c'mon. What's the problem?

Since I'm not in China, I would have to pass the offer. I would be however meeting anyone at GameConnect Asia Pacific :) And although I don't see too many members from China, what's with the member's count then:

Quote:

Top Countries by Member Count
1. United States (22671)
2. United Kingdom (4825)
3. Canada (2925)
4. China (2422)
5. India (2049)


Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
Yeah, it was great to meet someone from the internet in real life, although it's a bit weird when you've got absolutely no idea what they're like until you meet them. I remember monopolising a lot of your one day in Canberra [smile].

And I didn't think the trains in Australia were that bad until I saw the trains in Hong Kong, and now I can't help think they universally suck.
Penten
Penten
We should have a GDNet China meet. Qingdao is nicely between Beijing and Shanghai (although you're maybe a bit far north up in Harbin) and will be hosting the beer festival later than usual this year.
If any members will be there around the 23rd of September I'd be up for meeting them.
metalman666
metalman666
Quote:

And I didn't think the trains in Australia were that bad until I saw the trains in Hong Kong, and now I can't help think they universally suck.




Talking about trains, if you sometime happen to be in India you will forget what
is a train. Their people will jump on your body. Even if you have a valid ticket
people will come and sit in your seat. If you protest they will say let me sit,
will get down at next stop. It's really horrible.
d000hg
d000hg
Is it India where they sit on the roof of the train?
metalman666
metalman666
Quote:

Is it India where they sit on the roof of the train?


Yes, you are right d000hg. I have seen more crazy stuff then that.
Oh Yeah! that's Indyeah!!!
Avatar God
Avatar God
Original post by metalman666
Quote:

And I didn't think the trains in Australia were that bad until I saw the trains in Hong Kong, and now I can't help think they universally suck.
I know! The Hong Kong MTR is awesome, and I want it so much to follow me to Dallas... but nothing doing.

Anyway, the Brisbane train was bad because I couldn't use it. Like, at all. Besides the fact that the ticketing was confusing (WTF, zones. I understand the concept, but not the actual zoning), and there was nobody to help... the trains weren't labeled. Even the platforms were barely labeled, and often misleadingly. The conductors didn't know where their own trains were going, and god forbid you tried to ask the station staff (if you could find them). I had local Brisbanites coming up to me and asking which train to take.

Eventually, i found the right train, but it was no use. It took four hours to get from the city center to four stops away from the whats-his-name zoo, which, given the morning hassle of getting the right train to the CBD and then finding another right train, meant the place had already closed (because nothing in Australia stays open past five. Except on Saturdays, when it all closes at noon, and Sunday, when nothing opens at all). Seriously, I got around the trains and buses in Beijing, Taipei and Seoul just fine but I couldn't manage Brisbane? That's pathetic [grin]. Still, a couple areas right in the middle of Brisbane were awesome.


Quote:
Talking about trains, if you sometime happen to be in India you will forget what is a train. Their people will jump on your body. Even if you have a valid ticket people will come and sit in your seat. If you protest they will say let me sit, will get down at next stop. It's really horrible.
Yeah, that sounds like the hard-seat sections of Chinese trains. Always worth it to get (or upgrade to) a hard sleeper on those, or else you might get unlucky and have to stand for twenty or thirty hours. Of course, if you're a friendly foreigner who speaks some Chinese, you can probably manage to squeeze into a seat with someone else (but you'll feel bad 'cause there's bound to be an eighty-year-old curled up under the seat).

Quote:
Yeah, it was great to meet someone from the internet in real life, although it's a bit weird when you've got absolutely no idea what they're like until you meet them. I remember monopolising a lot of your one day in Canberra.
Hey, that was a good day! I never did actually translate the braille from that museum. I should go find that picture and see...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.