Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

VC# '05, or VC# '08....which one should I learn on?

Started by Kirkula Aug 21, 2008 at 5:13 PM 7 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
Kirkula
Kirkula
I have downloaded both some time ago, and now I'm starting to get more serious about learning. I downloaded '05 because XNA was only available for that one, but I downloaded '08 as well, if only because, hey, it's there. Unfortanately though, I don't know which one I should spend more time learning. I'm leaning towards '08, because by the time I'm ready for my first games, the full XNA 3 will be available. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, and if this was already posted by someone else, or answered in a FAQ, I appologize for the redundancy, but I'm on my way to the shower and off to borders for a book to start learning. I'll be purchasing whichever one you guys recommend, based on '05 or '08, or I'll just think of which version to go through while I'm there :-D. Thanks for your time.
c0uchm0nster
c0uchm0nster
If you're just starting to learn I'd say it doesn't matter. Both are extremely similar platforms. C# isn't my primary language so forgive me if I miss something important, however the big difference is C# 2005 will be .NET framework 2.0 and C# 2008 will be .NET framework 3.5...

XNA IS available for 2008, I'm using it right now... it's just the CTP (basically the beta version) of XNA 3.0... I haven't run into any problems yet (but I'm still doing very basic stuff).

So basically: Use either one just to learn because there wont be much of a difference... And by the time you want to publish something .NET 3.5 (and xna 3?) will be more widespread so you could use either one to publish something... also transitioning from one to the other is pretty damn simple.
Kirkula
Kirkula
Ok, thanks c0uchm0nster, that was what I was thinkin while I was in the shower. (my favorite place to think! get clean while you get smart!) Off to borders!
Daerax
Daerax
I suggest 2008 because its newer. And also because it comes with the newer framework which is better (more features, speed enhancements etc).

C# 3.0 is also a more powerful language than C# 2.0. It is better you get acquainted with its feature set sooner than later. They will make you more productive.
Drigovas
Drigovas
Well, as of right now, XNA can work just fine on '08, so that justification for sticking with '05 is gone. In general, it is best to always use the most recent version unless you have a good reason for not upgrading.
gpalin
gpalin
Just downloaded the express editions - the Pro trial just ran out on me :( VS 2008 Pro|Express are looking great, time to start digging in!

As for choosing between 2005 and 2008, I recall reading that 2005 is limited to .NET 2.0, while 2008 can handle .NET 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. Regardless of whether you are using Pro or Express. So by all means stick to 2008!
Grant Palin
Kirkula
Kirkula
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up buying
"Beginning C# 2008 - by Christian Gross", I'll let you know how it turns out for me :-D.
BCullis
BCullis
Something to keep in mind, (and I might be misinformed on this, so people are free to correct me, but...) new releases of the .NET framework are just additive, correct? I.e. If you learned from a C# 2005 book, all of that would still be applicable, and the new elements from .net 3.0 and 3.5 would just be add-ons to your already established knowledge base. I'm not aware of anything from 2.0 or 1.0 going obsolete with the addition of 3.0, on the surface it just looks like they're adding functionality (and more efficient ways to solve problems, but the "older" code would still work).
Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)
TheUnbeliever
TheUnbeliever
Older code might work, but it may become non-idiomatic. For example, using Object everywhere that generics might be more appropriate; using ArrayList rather than List where the latter is adequate for the purpose, etc.

Also, I'm not convinced that it is all additive. Some of the earlier versions (v1.1, I think?) must be installed alongside later versions in order to run .NET apps targeting that version.
[TheUnbeliever]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.