Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is there any technical reason Source games look more photorealistic than UT3 games?

Started by Phoenix_Fury Aug 24, 2008 at 3:11 PM 30 replies 9.1k views
Original Post
Phoenix_Fury
Phoenix_Fury
Especially when it comes to environments and their lighting. I can usually spot right off the bad if a game is using the UT3 engine. Everything is usually darker, feels more like a painting than immersing into a real world, and the characters have a gloss or pastiness to them that doesn't convince me they are real. So my question is, is this something mostly staple to the UT3 rendering, or would it be possible to create even more photorealistic games than HL2 has up to this point?
ViperG
ViperG
It's mostly the textures for the main reason why it looks realistic. Alot of the textures are direct photos of real materials in the real world, and modified so they tessellate. Plus lighting and shaders help.

Also look at the game Stalker: clear sky, which pushes realism to the max even more so than half life 2.

Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
Phoenix_Fury
Phoenix_Fury
Quote:
Original post by ViperG
It's mostly the textures for the main reason why it looks realistic. Alot of the textures are direct photos of real materials in the real world, and modified so they tessellate. Plus lighting and shaders help.

Also look at the game Stalker: clear sky, which pushes realism to the max even more so than half life 2.



But that uses something called the "X-ray Engine 1.5"
Ezbez
Ezbez
Quick, which engine does this game use?

It uses the Source engine and it looks less realistic than any Unreal Engine 3 game I've seen. What the game looks like depends little on the engine and more on the art.

Edit: Fixed link.
Phoenix_Fury
Phoenix_Fury
Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Quick, which engine does this game use?

It uses the Source engine and it looks less realistic than any Unreal Engine 3 game I've seen. What the game looks like depends little on the engine and more on the art.

Edit: Fixed link.


Irrelevent.

I'm talking about the potential to look photorealistic, not the choice to.

I'm asking if the Unreal 3 engine has the potential to look photorealistic in it's environments, to not look like everything is an overshadowed/overcontrasted painting.
Filami
Filami
Source games, like Half Life 2, uses lightmaps generated by a radiosity renderer. This, plus photo-realistic textures, creates very realistic images.

In the other side, Unreal Engine 3, as far as I know, does not use lightmaps (or at lest they are more limited). This results in pure per pixel light, Doom3 style or close to that. The result is what you mentioned.

While the Source games can be more photo-realistic, Unreal Engine games can be more dynamic.

This may change a lot in near future since Unreal Engine is integrating Turtle Render as lightmaps generator. Turtle Render is quite more powerfull than the one used in Source.

The reason Unreal Engine games may look like paintings may be more because of pixel space color masterization. In there, you can fine tune contrast, saturation and stuff like that. I think those games use that alot.
Techno Grooves
Daaark
Daaark
Quote:
Original post by Phoenix_Fury
I'm asking if the Unreal 3 engine has the potential to look photorealistic in it's environments, to not look like everything is an overshadowed/overcontrasted painting.
It's an art design choice, not an engine choice.

Phoenix_Fury
Phoenix_Fury
Quote:
Original post by Daaark
Quote:
Original post by Phoenix_Fury
I'm asking if the Unreal 3 engine has the potential to look photorealistic in it's environments, to not look like everything is an overshadowed/overcontrasted painting.
It's an art design choice, not an engine choice.


Obviously not. The engine issues have been explained.
Phoenix_Fury
Phoenix_Fury
Quote:
Original post by Filami
Source games, like Half Life 2, uses lightmaps generated by a radiosity renderer. This, plus photo-realistic textures, creates very realistic images.

In the other side, Unreal Engine 3, as far as I know, does not use lightmaps (or at lest they are more limited). This results in pure per pixel light, Doom3 style or close to that. The result is what you mentioned.

While the Source games can be more photo-realistic, Unreal Engine games can be more dynamic.

This may change a lot in near future since Unreal Engine is integrating Turtle Render as lightmaps generator. Turtle Render is quite more powerfull than the one used in Source.

The reason Unreal Engine games may look like paintings may be more because of pixel space color masterization. In there, you can fine tune contrast, saturation and stuff like that. I think those games use that alot.



Is this turtle rendering already a part of the latest Unreal Engine build, the one they are using in hears of war, or is it some future planned feature?

Is there any chance of these features every being patched into the UT3 engine for modders, or are we basically SoL and have to wait for Unreal4?

One of the big downsides I noticed about the source engine was it's complete lack of dynamic lighting for weapons and such, but I have seen mods with dynamic lighting so on some level at least it's possible.

zedz
zedz
>>In the other side, Unreal Engine 3, as far as I know, does not use lightmaps

you might wanna tell the guys with gears of war 1/2 that
since they seem to do the majority of the diffuse lighting with lightmaps :)
aka its less sophisticated than doom3

but to sum up neither the source engine or UT3 arent the tops, on the PC side u have cryengine + on the console side u have the 'drakes fortune' engine
Promit
Promit
It's a combination of their precomputed radiosity system (and the overall lighting model that goes along with it) and absolutely brilliant artists. That's all there is to it.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
cignox1
cignox1
Quote:
Original post by Promit
It's a combination of their precomputed radiosity system (and the overall lighting model that goes along with it) and absolutely brilliant artists. That's all there is to it.


Quote. In a recent thread I've read that Source uses a '3-way' lightmap system. This means that there are actually 3 lightmaps at the same time for each polygon, and each one holds the light contribution from a specific direction (i.e, one from up, one for left/bottom, one from right/bottom).
If this was true, this may explain why lighting in HL2 looks so wonderful compared to anything else I've ever seen (sometimes even better than Crysis, wich is fully dynamic though).

This and those amzing artists.

EDIT:
By the way, really nice image, the one taken from Stalker: clear sky!
Hodgman
Hodgman
Quote:
Original post by cignox1
I've read that Source uses a '3-way' lightmap system. This means that there are actually 3 lightmaps at the same time for each polygon, and each one holds the light contribution from a specific direction ... this may explain why lighting in HL2 looks so wonderful compared to anything else I've ever seen (sometimes even better than Crysis, wich is fully dynamic though).
The technique is called "radiosity normal mapping", I think. There's a paper on their publications page titled "Shading in Valve’s Source Engine" that describes it. There's also "Efficient Self-Shadowed Radiosity Normal Mapping" that describes the enhancements that they created for Episode 2.
Matt Aufderheide
Matt Aufderheide
I'm curious, what source engine game looks anything even remotely "photorealistic"?

Maybe you consider this word to mean something else, but source engine looked outdated even before it was released.
MJP
MJP
Quote:
Original post by cignox1

If this was true, this may explain why lighting in HL2 looks so wonderful compared to anything else I've ever seen (sometimes even better than Crysis, wich is fully dynamic though).


Well that should make sense: you can make your lighting calculations a whole lot fancier when you're doing them offline! Of course this means that a map in Source engine only exists at one time of day. So it's a tradeoff of quality vs. flexibility.

Personally I'm willing to be a little forgiving on quality if the content is dynamic.

mittens
mittens
Quote:
Original post by Phoenix_Fury
Irrelevent.

I'm talking about the potential to look photorealistic, not the choice to.

I'm asking if the Unreal 3 engine has the potential to look photorealistic in it's environments, to not look like everything is an overshadowed/overcontrasted painting.

Stop being so oblivious to logic and reason. First of all, UT3 is a game and not, in fact, an engine. Unreal Tournament 3, along with Gears of War, are both pseudo-photorealistic games that have go for a gritty realism in an unrealistic world. Whether you consider the visualization of a non-realistic world photorealistic or not is irrelevant.

Now, let's look at some other Unreal Engine 3 games:

Medal of Honor: Airborne; man, these look almost like real people at times!

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway: take a look at this screenshot. This game is driven by Unreal Engine 3 and is going for a relatively realistic look, wouldn't you say?

And, then, of course, there's the look of games like Team Fortress 2 which use the Source engine which are clearly non-photorealistic. It all comes down to how a given team of developers want to utilize an engine. Unreal Engine 3 and Source Engine are both huge engines that, really, can be used for whatever type of game/look a developer wants for their individual work. I can usually tell when certain games use Unreal Engine 3 but that's solely due to a vaguely-unique rim lighting model that the engine employs. I can also usually tell when a game uses the Source Engine because, outside of Valve, there are only about two-three titles that use it. Does that count?
Phoenix_Fury
Phoenix_Fury
The smug-factor of this forum is off the charts. Mittens assumes I don't know what I'm talking about, when really he can't even bring himself to comprehend what I'm asking.

I'm talking about the UT3 engine, not the game. I'm asking why all U3 engine games are overly dark and have a unnatural sheen around objects and people.
This is a recognizable trait of any game that uses the engine (You're MOH Airborne screenshot only proves i), and the reason for why has already been explained - They don't use lightmaps like Source. But source also lacks decent dynamic lighting.

Pure dynamic lighting is awesome and all, but as the Quake3 and UT3 engine show us, there's something else missing from the equation to make the game look less like a stylized painting and more like a photo snapshot of a real life location.

TorpedoBeetle
TorpedoBeetle
Phoenix_Fury

you are a [ true gentleman. ]

[ No flaming. --Sneftel ]

[Edited by - Sneftel on August 26, 2008 9:39:14 AM]
Driv3MeFar
Driv3MeFar
Quote:
Original post by Filami
In the other side, Unreal Engine 3, as far as I know, does not use lightmaps


Incorrect.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.