Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Can you get the High Score?

Started by Wavewash Sep 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM 12 replies 3.2k views
Original Post
Wavewash
Wavewash
Hi all, I haven't posted to GameDev in years. I'm an old member back from 1999 and just fell out of touch. I guess I had a 'bout of Nostalgia for the fun times I had on these forums. So to make my grand re-entrance I've made a simple game. It's a clone of a javacript game called escapa written in AS3. http://workshop.blabberize.com/evade/ I hope the conversations here are as vibrant as when I left years ago!
coding penguin
coding penguin
Argh just 4st..welcome back mate [smile]
Edit: Can't make it better than 2nd

[Edited by - coding penguin on September 21, 2008 2:12:25 PM]
mich4elp
mich4elp
I was able to get 21.766. Took me a while. :P
At the start, I could barely get past 3 seconds. :D
GameDev Doctor
GameDev Doctor
Got to 21.8, but it didn't let me record my score
edit: hmm, I guess it just recorded scores from when it was being tested or something?
I mean, why would you get your medical advice anywhere else?
Jarrod1937
Jarrod1937
If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism. Is there anyway you could make the cursor at the center of the square? It completely throws me off otherwise.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Sirisian
Sirisian
Yeah put the mouse at the center. Also the game allows you to right click and teleport which can be used to cheat.
Samith
Samith
The collision detection doesn't work entirely properly. The bottom left corner of my yellow square can intersect the top right corner of the red squares without begin detected.
Wavewash
Wavewash
Thanks for all the feedback!

@Jarrod1937 - You're right. I need to move the square to the center. I think it's throwing off lots of other people too.

@Samith - I did some test and noticed that too. I'll check it out because I'm not sure exactly why it's happening. It's a pretty simple box to box collision. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's good to be back. :)
AndreTheGiant
AndreTheGiant
Im just beginning to develop with flash and I must say I am really enjoying it. Im learning AS3. I have never touched AS2, and from what Im reading, Im lucky for it. I also hope to get a game or demo or something up and running some day soon!
Wavewash
Wavewash
Quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
Im just beginning to develop with flash and I must say I am really enjoying it. Im learning AS3. I have never touched AS2, and from what Im reading, Im lucky for it. I also hope to get a game or demo or something up and running some day soon!


AS3 from an engineer standpoint is much cleaner and easier to handle then a AS2. I'm a fan of strongly typed languages too so that's a plus for AS3. I just find it easier in AS3 to separate code from assets. In AS2 you have the library within the Flash IDE which can get messy if you don't plan and stick to some convention.

Evade was made in Flash Develop, AS3, and Inkscape for the SVG graphics for the menu and such. Everything else is, of course, drawn with the native graphics.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your game! Send me a note when it's done.
EmptyVoid
EmptyVoid
I got to 23.724 but it does not let me type my name in.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Wavewash
Wavewash
Quote:
Original post by EmptyVoid
I got to 23.724 but it does not let me type my name in.


Yeah it only lets you if you rank in the top 10. But I should change that to 25 since the list on the page goes to 25.
DevFred
DevFred
Two suggestions:

- Hide the mouse cursor
- The blue border should not be "deadly" but simply a wall you cannot surpass
Wan
Wan
I can't get passed twelve seconds. I feel so... inadequate. [bawling]

Quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
Im just beginning to develop with flash and I must say I am really enjoying it. Im learning AS3. I have never touched AS2, and from what Im reading, Im lucky for it.

Yep, AS3 is definetely a big step forward. Developing in it no longer guarentees a mental meltdown.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.