Original Post
I installed Ubuntu (latest stable build as of a few weeks ago) and have spent some time getting it working well with everything I want on my Eee PC 900 (16gig Celeron,... should have spent the extra on a 20gig atom, but the 900 was already an upgrade over what I wanted to spend on a netbook.) The default OS, Xandros or something, wasn't that bad but was annoying to use as something to play with, and couldn't seem to activate the optional 'normal' interface. For the past several weeks I've been having no problems with Ubuntu, beyond the boot times. Xandros booted in about 34 seconds, given that the higher speed drive editions booted it in about 15-18 seconds, I didn't think it was too bad. However Ubuntu takes almost a minute more, and that is really just too annoying. I've tried trimming down the time, disabled some things I didn't think I needed, but it barely shaved a few seconds off. Any suggestions for either how to speed up Ubuntu's boot time to less than 40 seconds, or another OS to go with? I was looking into DSL, but from what I've read there are many issues with getting it to run due to the older kernel.