Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What is the best 3d game engine for...

Started by Julian124 Sep 26, 2008 at 7:59 PM 7 replies 3k views
Original Post
Julian124
Julian124
Can someone please suggest me some good 3d game engines to create a 3D Fighting Game like Mortal Kombat: Armageddon or the upcoming Mortal Kombat vs DC Comics? Something atleast similar to the concept of it. Thank you!
Daaark
Daaark
Irrlicht will let you easily import some .x files and play their animations back. Everything else is pretty much up to you. Maybe DXStudio. It really depends on your experience level. Because any 3D engine can let you do this, depending on how much work you want to do yourself to make it happen.

If you don't know how to program, then no 3D engine will let you do it. So you might as well try to learn to use DX Studio.
Julian124
Julian124
ive been doing a bit of research myself, but does Torque Game Engine allow me to do this?
TMichael
TMichael
Sure, TGE can do this-- as Daaark stated above, any 3D engine can do this as long as you can program it.

If you choose the non-programmer route, besides DX Studio, other options include 3D Rad, 3D Gamemaker, and Reality Factory. If you are willing to program/script, there are literally hundreds of options.
GameDeveloperTools.comA comprehensive library of game development resources.
dMaze149
dMaze149
Dude, if you've never programmed before, pick an easy way.In think you should start with drag'n'drop creating, continue with scripting and than dive in source code with some of easier programming languages.

Start with GameMaker, especially if you didn't understand my second sentence.
Julian124
Julian124
My main O/S is Mac OSX 10.5 and I looked at all the suggested applications and none are compatible with Mac OSX can someone please post one that is compatible with OSX 10.5? Thank you.

@Daaark: Yes I do have a Playstation 2 and I think I may own Fighter Maker, if not I'll go buy it and follow up from there.
TMichael
TMichael
Well, that does narrow it down quite a bit. Have a look at these two:

dim3 (Free)
Unity ($199)
GameDeveloperTools.comA comprehensive library of game development resources.
Julian124
Julian124
Thank you TMichael. I really appreciate it, but after I learn to use this, any 3d game engine can be used in Mac OS X correct?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.