Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

DirectSound3D positioning

Started by philipbennefall Oct 26, 2008 at 11:59 AM 0 replies 850+ views
Original Post
philipbennefall
philipbennefall
Hello everyone, I have a quick question about Microsoft DirectSound3D. I wish to use some very limited 3d audio in my game, it would only be used to simulate the muffling effect that indicates that something is behind you. In the tests that I've done so far the volume changes in strange ways when modifying x and y (both in head relative and in world mode), and it gets very hard to hear where things are. In normal stereo it's a lot easier, and I want to keep that simplisity but basically have it so that I can apply various amounts of muffling depending on how far back the sound source is. So that to the left and right the position would just change like it does with pan, but backwards and forward it would become more or less muffled depending on where the sound is. I could also combine this with the normal volume parameter to simulate distance more accurately as I don't fully understand how to set all the parameters up properly. If anyone could tell me what functions to call to set up the 3d engine to work like I've described, and also with what amounts to modify the position parameters when moving sounds, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance for any replies. Regards Philip Bennefall

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.