Original Post
Hi If I want to know the distance between two vectors is it just simply V1.length - v2.length? Seem to simple somehow Cheers Mark
Quote:
Original post by Rockoon1
A vector is not a point, nor is a vector 2 points.
Quote:
Original post by Ezbez Quote:
Original post by Rockoon1
A vector is not a point, nor is a vector 2 points.
Agreed, but a vector has a start point and an endpoint. (I guess the actual terms are initial point and terminal point. Or tail and head.)
Quote:
point + point of course does not yield a vector, it makes no sense to add points. It also doesn't make sense to subtract points, and I think a particularly pedantic mathematician would say that is no more valid than adding points and getting a vector.
Quote:
Original post by Ezbez Quote:
Original post by Rockoon1
A vector is not a point, nor is a vector 2 points.
Agreed, but a vector has a start point and an endpoint.
Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
It also doesn't make sense to subtract points
Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
If a mathematician gave me an angle when I asked for a distance, I would have scoffed.
Quote:
Original post by markgame66
I have a simple 2D map, with a path planner which works out the steps that need to be taken from A to B via n Way Points (As required). I do calculate two vectors, one for the Robots current position and on and the next Way Point and use those two to determine the angles of error for the desired path.
Then the missing link in the chain to so get the robot to calculate some value, based upon to far it is from a Way Point to decrease it's turning angle the closer it gets to the way point (It tends to get confused if it over corrects).
Quote:
Original post by markgame66
Given this:
2 cartesian points on a grid(Map): (1,1) and (9,9).
As the robot progresses along the path the heading may change (Drifts off the path +5 degrees here -10 degree there to say in line with point (9,9)). Problems happen as it approachs ... on the grid. ... at (8,8). Then the correction angle would be 45 degrees.
So what I wanted ... will reqduce the correction angle as the ... approached -...
Mark
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more