Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

quake 3 arena engine

Started by GameDev.net Dec 20, 1999 at 10:12 AM 14 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
GameDev.net
GameDev.net
is there anyway i can get the quake 3 arena engine?
Gecko
Gecko
buy the game and wait for id to release the source code.

------------------

_________________Gecko___


_________________Gecko___Gecko Design
Gromit
Gromit
I really don't think that id is just going to give away the quake 3 engine... That is until it's a couple year out of date.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Myopic Rhino
Myopic Rhino
I'm sure you can get it. Just call id.

You DO have the $500,000 (I'm guessing) licensing fee, right?

logistix
logistix
Isn't the engine just the .dlls? People are already making mods for Quake 3, believe it or not. I don't know what bl was looking for though.
-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt
Jim Adams
Jim Adams
Hmmmmm Considering the Unreal engine started at $1,000,000 (I believe) I think the engine is going to be a bit higher than that Let's all follow Bill Gates around and bug him for some pocket change.

When you do license the engine, you do get the full package out of it though (source code and all). At least that's how it was with Quake 2 and Unreal engines.

I heard ID was severly lacking in Customer support on it though, while the other co that made unreal was excellent.

Has anybody ever thought of just making engines to license out? I'm kinda curious on this sort of thing - might be the way to go if you can't make a full game - just make the engine and then license out for $$$$.


Jim Adams

logistix
logistix
You might want to start looking at http://www.q3arena.com/

there's ALOT of sites out there for plain old quake and halflife mods, too.

-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt
Ratman
Ratman
Heres how it goes:

-The dll files and tools (qeradiant) were released the other day. go to like www.fileplanet.com or www.quake3arena.com and you can probably find them there. Get this if you want to make mods. Basically what they give you is the header files, and the already compiled object files. You can change certain parts of the game, but none of the real technical stuff (rendering, network).

-if you want the full engine and source code...your going to be waiting a long time. They'll probably release it in 5 years. By full engine/source, I mean everything you would need to compile the entire game. You could buy it now for probably $1,000,000+. Of course when they release the source, that doesnt mean you get all the media...just the code (you still gotta buy the game to play the real thing).

TheGecko
TheGecko
Hmm...true...the engine goes for a good $1M+
But there is a game that's in the making right now that is using the Quake 3 engine. It's called Alice from EA (alice.ea.com)
Check it out...it seems to be a pretty cool game!
logistix
logistix
Of course you only need the source code if you plan to _improve_ on the engine Quadlinear filtering and 64 bit color would be nice.

While we're on the topic, you can get the Halflife Pro SDK at:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/hlsdk.htm

Which supposedly has everything you need to compile halflife from scratch.

You have to fill out an NDA, other restrictions, but suprisingly you can sell anything you make over the web, just not on CD's floppys etc.

I haven't ordered it yet, though. If I do I'll never finish the project I'm working on now (game written from scratch) and I'm so close.

-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt
Teflaun
Teflaun
This is not a shameless plug but if a 3D engine is what you want to play with, then I would suggest the Acknex engine. $1500 for the engine (obviously without source), the editors, and scripting engine. Or as low as $200 bucks for the lite version (the one I got. cool deal). I say the graphics engine is a level above the QuakeII engine.

[This message has been edited by Teflaun (edited December 17, 1999).]

Stark
Stark
Teflaun, do you have a URL for us to look at? I'd be interested in seeing this engine, even though I'm a long way away from making any 3D game.
NuFAN
NuFAN
Hi,
as to Acknex4 ... you can't compare it with the Q2-engine, because Q2 was much faster. A4 isn't worth the money, because you'll have much trouble using it. Some friends of mine got it and it's only a half engine, because many features are missing and shall be out later. If you remember the AVI-Player or dynamic lighting, nothing yet. If I use one's engine, then I'd use Genesis3D or Crystal Space, but writing your own one roqz.

And, you have many other restrictions using A4, so better leave it.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment
#40842461

Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.