Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Stack unwinding with exception handling & Heaps

Started by Elixir Jun 19, 2001 at 6:26 PM 2 replies 850+ views
Original Post
Elixir
Elixir
Alrighty, I''m starting to design myself a little landscape engine (as if we don''t have enough =P) and wanted to use those oh-so-nice exception handlers, slow as they may be, to keep my project leak free. I know both Unreal and Black&White use this but I''m not sure exactly on the internals of Unreal''s guard/unguard or even how BaW does this. They seem like a great way to debug and if I wanted to stop using them for release, I can just add that to the preprocessor. Can anyone point me to some good links for this sort of exception handling? On a 1/2 related note, what are everyones thoughts on heaps? This seems like a great way to keep memory in check but I worry of forgetting to always use the heap. I''m sure there are other disadvantages as well. Would it be a good idea to use a heap for things such as small data structures? -Thanks
Shannon Barber
Shannon Barber
There''s a book called Exceptional C++ that I believe deals with this topic

I was going to pick it up sometime soon...

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Gorg
Gorg
quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
There''s a book called Exceptional C++ that I believe deals with this topic

I was going to pick it up sometime soon...

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned



This book is a actually a bunch of articles put together.

EVERYTHING and more in this book is at that web page :

http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/index.htm

do not forget to read the conversations!!!
Void
Void
For windows stack tracing, look at the Superassert at john robbins bugslayer column on MSDN. Or get his book "Debugging Applications"

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.