Original Post
Hi, I'm wondering how games about managing soccer teams are designed. I'm interested in soccer, but the problem is not specific to soccer, any team sport would do (basketball, American football, rugby, handball, hockey...). Examples of such games are Football Manager, Championship Manager on PCs and ManagerZone, Hat Trick on the web. More precisely, I'm interested in the match engine, the part deciding the outcome of games. It seems quite challenging to me: The outcome itself must be realistic, and the game itself must also look believable. The game is typically visible as a text report, a 2d film or a 3d film for the most advanced titles. I can see two approaches: Simulate the match at the level of players (basically write a soccer game with an AI, and let the AI play against itself), or simulate at the level of teams (compare the offensive and defensive strengths of teams, then throw dice). [Edited by - johdex on December 23, 2008 6:21:33 AM]