HA! I finally finished a game. :P

Started by
9 comments, last by MrShaneParker 22 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys. I finished my first game! Of course it''s tetris. :D See a screen shot here: http://members.aol.com/AdrianoValentine/pic.jpg I''m not new to programming in C\C++... i''ve been doing that for a few years now. It''s funny, because the whole reason i started programming was to make video games, however i would never complete an actual game that i started. I guess i was always trying to accomplish things way out of my league. This time i thought i would start at the bottom like every one else, and of course i got much better results. :D I chose to use OpenGL for my game because it''s EASY and it''s AWESOME if you have a 3D acceleration card. (AND YOU SHOULD!) The game looks great in full-screen mode, especially if you have full-scene anti aliasing support like Voodoo5 cards do. (I think nVidia cards do now too...) I''m not really gonna bother uploading it, cause there''s already 50 bazillion other tetris clones on the net, and because mine isn''t anything special. I just wanted to kinda talk a bit about my first completion, and maybe even encourage some new coders out there to study hard and keep trying. It isn''t easy to make games, but if you work at it enough you''ll get something done. No matter how small and dorky my tetris clone is, i''m really glad i got something done. Now to determine what my next game will be... any suggestions? -Shane Parker
-Shane Parker
Advertisement
Well done mate. My first completed game was an ASCII Pacman game in QBASIC .

How about a Nibbles or Snake game?

Rottbott
hehehe...that''s nothing...my first game was a number guessing game (text only) in TI-BASIC!!!

That was on my Texas Instruments TI-994/a

-Coleco

~ c o l ec o ~

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!
S i g n a l D E V .com

--HASBRO SUCKS--
Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
Very cool. I''m genuinely happy for you. Good luck on you next project!

YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

lol, my first game was also a number guessing one. only mine was on the Applle IIe.

-Greg, The lazy webmaster
I just created a snake-game. But it''s written in console mode so no graphics. (you can shoot, level-editor is being built, 2 players and automatic pilot and so on..)
I think I''ll never learn DirectX8 because every month there''s a newer version and I can''t follow it anymore :-(
Else I had liked to create a game in DX8 but it''s so.. so abstract. Sprites, textuers, lightning, dxinit, dxrelease, creating lists and objects, vertices, and so on :-( If only I had a good start (I''ve seen many, many turtorials so far and I think they would be useful but.. ya it''s not getting me anywhere)
I should have to make a game with someone else
..?(anyone)..? :-)

Katana
Katana
I''d love to try to help you, but i''m prtty much a newbie. I know a little C++, but probably not enough to help with a game.

quote:Original post by MrShaneParker
Hey guys. I finished my first game! Of course it''s tetris. :D

See a screen shot here: http://members.aol.com/AdrianoValentine/pic.jpg

I''m not new to programming in C\C++... i''ve been doing that for a few years now. It''s funny, because the whole reason i started programming was to make video games, however i would never complete an actual game that i started. I guess i was always trying to accomplish things way out of my league. This time i thought i would start at the bottom like every one else, and of course i got much better results. :D

I chose to use OpenGL for my game because it''s EASY and it''s AWESOME if you have a 3D acceleration card. (AND YOU SHOULD!)

The game looks great in full-screen mode, especially if you have full-scene anti aliasing support like Voodoo5 cards do. (I think nVidia cards do now too...)

I''m not really gonna bother uploading it, cause there''s already 50 bazillion other tetris clones on the net, and because mine isn''t anything special. I just wanted to kinda talk a bit about my first completion, and maybe even encourage some new coders out there to study hard and keep trying. It isn''t easy to make games, but if you work at it enough you''ll get something done.

No matter how small and dorky my tetris clone is, i''m really glad i got something done. Now to determine what my next game will be... any suggestions?

-Shane Parker

Good job dude, keep it up....

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
[Cyberdrek | ]
Yeah, that''s great that you finally finished a project. Hopefully you''ll be able to finish more...
ooh .. hope i''ll reach the stage of completeing my first windows game ehehehe .. by myself that is ..

where is a good site to pick up on code for those beginner games .. tic tac toe .. and tic tac toe w AI and etc , but for windows API ? ..

but i need stuff that will work definite, simple enough to just get the concept and the results, and obviously to dig through and find out how the brain works eheheh

a lot fo the stuff ive downloaded use an additional file and resources which obv i dont have, and thus they dont compile.

so if anyone knows of a good site to download simple game simple code please let me kno ? .. or email me ?

Thanx

PS : Ive got Borland Free Compiler Command Line .. and that''s all i want to use for the mean time until later ..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement