Original Post
Enemies in open world shooters I've played have only basic AI and a hate level. They might be camped or they might be on patrol. But they do not respond to global events. In other words, if they can't hear you or the enemy you are attacking, they don't exist. I firmly believe that a great innovation in open world shooters will involve the an enemy and how he responds to the player. GTA simulated a globally aware enemy with the police and imo was a critical component in design and development process. Lots of open world shooters ignored this element of GTA (!!!). Besides adding depth in the openness to the game, it can also keep action high. Take STALKER; They were forced to utilize enemy respawns so that returning to a place like a train station is as action packed as the first time you were there. Most people complained about the task of going through "recycled content", but the devs knew that it sure beat a cleared-out field devoid of action. A dynamic enemy could have resolved this problem because engaging the static enemy would only be the first part of the battle... dealing with the reinforcements (point of entry, level of response) would have brought about diversity in the conflict simply by adding these dynamic variables. The symptom is so obvious. When I'm attacking an outpost, the rest of the world does not exist. All that exists are the enemies at the camp. Compared to a linear game with heavily scripted scenarios this open world results in a much devolved and degraded player-vs-enemy relationship. Open world shooters commonly improve the conflicts between the player and enemy by utilizing mission-specific scripts. But this does nothing for battles taking place outside of mission content. This is so critical because a dynamic enemy adds to the sandbox appeal and I think an open world shooter is only as good as its sandbox elements. For example, in GTA, city driving was fun, interacting with the police response was incredible, and city exploration itself was pleasant. Without sandbox elements like these, your open world shooter is just a wanna be that should have been linear because creating a sandbox IS the reason for creating that open world. I've got some ideas about creating an open world shooter, and you better believe it revolves around an innovated approach to creating globally aware enemies. I think I might make it into a board game first! If you have something to say about sandbox or globally aware enemies, please share!