Original Post
Hi, I'm currently using a fixed-pipeline for my OpenGL projects. I stopped programming as a hobby a good few years back (2000/2001) and my word, things have changed! I REALLY want to get into the bowels of my videocard and use vertex shaders but I am really unsure how to go about this... I've read lots of articles but they all seem to rely on some nVidia CGL thing which I have absolutely no idea what this is (propriety?). I would be most grateful if someone could give me the lowdown of what I need to install and what I need to setup to use shaders in OGL. DX seesm to do this transparently via the usual API calls... is this an edge that X has over OGL? will I have to use proprietary extension that tie me down to one manufacturer? My video card supports OGL 1.4 Thanks in advance and please be kind about my ignorance on the topic :D