Original Post
Hey all, I'm not sure whether this should go in Multiplayer and Network Programming or in Alternative Game Libraries, so my apologies if it's miscategorized. I'm helping to develop a serious (non-entertainment) game, a training application that involves modeling contacting other players via phone and radio. We're hoping to find some nice straightforward open-source Voice over IP library that we can drop in for easy use. I've been tasked with getting the VoIP functionality working. I've done a little bit of poking around, and I've found this nice list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software ...and the only section that seems applicable is the "Frameworks and libraries" section, so naturally I'm looking at Tapioca and Telepathy/Farsight...but I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at, and whether it's directly applicable for the kind of purposes I have. I don't really need 3D positional audio (at this time, anyway); I just need to be able to fetch audio from a microphone, send it over a network, and play it on the other side, and to be able to control when and to whom this is done. My development and test platform is a Windows PC, though staying cross-platform is ideal. Has anyone here ever incorporated VoIP into a game, not merely on the end-user side, but integrating it as part of the application proper? Do you have any recommendations for someone in my position? (BTW, someone on the official GameDev.net IRC channel mentioned I should come here and ask the moderator of this forum, hplus0603. They indicated you're some sort of expert or something. :) Hear my cries, oh mod!)