Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Climbing Game (comments please?)

Started by intransigent-seal Feb 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM 5 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
intransigent-seal
intransigent-seal
I've had this game idea in my head for the past few days. Sorry, long brain-dump here. 2D (conceptually; if you have the artists and team to support it then it could be 3D third-person with a fairly restricted camera). It's a last-as-long-as-you-can game. The screen scrolls vertically at a fairly fixed rate. Possibly the rate varies depending on the difficulty of the section you're climbing through, but basic version has a fixed scroll rate. If you can't keep up with the scrolling (i.e., if the character scrolls off the bottom of the screen) you lose. You get more points the higher you can go. You're on a climbing wall (or cliff face). Use the mouse to aim in a particular direction (cursor is a little target or whatever; the characters head turns as you aim, always looking towards the cursor). There are controls to reach with the left or right hand, to push up with the leg(s) (probably not push up separately with left/right leg; it just pushes up with whichever legs are properly supported; possible extension here is that you can push further/faster if both legs are supported than if you're only pushing with one leg, e.g., you might be able to do a jump/grab if you push with both legs, but only do a push/reach if only one leg is supported). You can also do a reach with the left or right foot I guess (this doesn't push, just lets you shift your foot to a different support). There might be the option of pulling yourself up with the arms as well as pushing yourself up with the feet, but if so there should probably be some restriction/drawback to that (maybe something based on a stamina bar). Aiming controls which direction you reach or push in. You don't have to aim exactly at a support, the aim just gives the direction. Possibly if you aim within the character's reach circle then you'll just reach to the cursor and aiming outside the circle reaches as far towards the cursor as possible, but really I doubt the benefit of even that. Not all supports can be used for all things — supports can cope with some combination of hands (one or both) and a foot (probably no support can be used for both feet at once, but that's a tuning detail). Supports can also be strong or weak — strong supports can be used for pushing/pulling yourself up, and a single strong support is enough to support your whole weight; weak supports can't be used for a foot push on their own, they're just temporary rest/anchor points (the strong/weak thing is more a measure of how strong your grip on that support will be, not the strength of the support itself). For harder difficulty, some supports may be physically fragile and break away after a little time. How difficulty is adjusted
  • For beginners, there are visual indications of what supports are reachable, and supports may be colour-coded (or indicated in some other way) to make it clearer which supports can be used for what, and how strong they are.
  • For a tutorial mode, probably a plausible route can be highlighted, and the player can just follow it to get the feel for the game.
  • Clearly, the density of supports affects difficulty.
  • Some moves (e.g., a jump-push) will be harder to pull off than others — different routes will require different combinations of moves and therefore have different difficulty.
  • For advanced players, the graphics may be even more like a cliff (I'm imagining mostly it'll look like a climbing wall, with quite well defined supports), with more subtle graphics for supports (note: not 'hidden' supports or other tricks like that, which are just frustrating — the point is that an advanced player should be able to learn to recognise fairly subtle clues, not that they should be able to somehow magically guess where to reach for).
  • The rate at which the screen scrolls up (very easy one to change).
  • Change the control system complexity: Simple version (for beginners) just has aim plus move-arm/move-leg/push; or even just aim+move-limb/push. More advanced players can use the more advanced controls which give them more explicit control and let them perform more moves.
Other variations/extensions:
  • Sandbox mode — don't scroll the screen except to keep the character visible, just let them climb wherever they want.
  • Races — side-by-side split-screen; let two or three players climb, scroll with the player (instead of constant scrolling) and whoever reaches the top (some arbitrary height line) first wins.
  • Different characters — possibly provide a small set of characters with different attributes (leg/arm strength/power, leg/arm reach, one or two special moves maybe)
  • Stamina bar — simple moves don't use stamina, more advanced moves (and special character moves if you have those) use stamina, if your stamina runs out you can't use those moves until it recharges.
  • Momentum — if you're already moving in a particular direction you can reach/jump futher in that direction.
  • Items (coins, postcards, whatever) — items are dispersed with fairly low density throughout the level; collect them as you climb past to get extra points.
  • Partially physics-based character animation (maybe movement, but I'm generally wary of physics-based movement — it tends to lead to poor controlability, which is always frustrating) — just a nice squishy feedback feature really; jump to the side and you'll swing a little, etc.
What to reward:
  • Particularly spectacular moves.
  • High-scores, obviously.
  • Using restricted routes (e.g., on a climbing wall with coloured supports you might try to climb the wall using only one colour or a subset of colours)
  • Special items, if you have items.
Levels can be designed in a level editor (except this only allows for limited-height levels which can be 'beaten' rather than the climb-as-long-as-you-can style). Alternatively, it's probably possible to generate the levels as you climb (one idea here: carefully design a fairly comprehensive set of 'template' support groups to be used for particular moves, stick them on the wall semi-randomly, placed according to difficulty settings and the known distances that the character can reach). So, first of all, what games are there already that do some/all of this? And generally: critique please? Edit/Clarifications: You reach in the direction you're aiming when you press the reach button, if you reach close enough to a support that can cope with the limb you're reaching with, then you automatically grab it (obviously only if it's in your reach-range). Typically you'll combine reaching (with an arm) with pushing (with a leg); this would I guess have to be built into the control system. The camera is looking at the player's back. John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
kru
kru
I think it sounds very neat and original. I don't know of anything similar. I think similar gameplay oriented more toward exploration could be interesting as well. I imagine lateral movement could be made to be just as interesting as constant upward movement.
intransigent-seal
intransigent-seal
Quote:
Original post by kru
I think it sounds very neat and original. I don't know of anything similar. I think similar gameplay oriented more toward exploration could be interesting as well. I imagine lateral movement could be made to be just as interesting as constant upward movement.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad you like it :-).

What do you think would work to reward the player in exploration-based gameplay? Do you think finding/collecting items would be enough? Or perhaps just the challenge of fluid movement and finding routes? I think often for exploration you need something that's difficult to find so that the player feels good when they do find it, but I'm not sure how locations could be hidden in this game. I suppose if it was extended into a more full 3D environment there might be more opportunity for hiding things.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
WavyVirus
WavyVirus
Sounds interesting. Your description of the mechanics is as far as I know unique

The "climbing" games that I've seen before usually involve elastic ropes/arms. There's a few Flash games about like this.

Check Google Video for "vertigo", a climbing game in development which is somewhat similar sounding but has limbs "snap" to points on the rock face. One thing they implement which you might consider including is fatigue/stamina for each limb.
intransigent-seal
intransigent-seal
Quote:
Original post by WavyVirus
Check Google Video for "vertigo", a climbing game in development which is somewhat similar sounding but has limbs "snap" to points on the rock face. One thing they implement which you might consider including is fatigue/stamina for each limb.

Thanks for this. I couldn't find any videos, but I found a few forum posts - it looks very interesting. Quite a similar concept, although probably more realistic, whereas mine is more arcade-like. The screenshots look pretty good.

The worry I'd have with stamina per-limb is that it increases the complexity of controlling your character even more. Possibly good for a more challenging advanced mode though.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
kru
kru
As I was reading your initial post I was imagining a level selection "menu" that is actually a part of the game, similar to the method that the SSX series uses. SSX is a snowboarding/skiing game. Starting from SSX 2 (I believe), instead of a simple menu to select the level you want to play, your avatar starts at the top of a mountain on his snowboard and can ski his way down the mountain (which is an entire level in its own right) at his own pace. There are coins to collect and achievements to unlock by finding secret places or interesting routes down the mountain in this free mode.

To play a level you only need to navigate your avatar to one of the starting areas of an actual level and push a button, or you could not push the button and run the track in free mode. If your avatar reaches the bottom of the mountain, a helicopter takes you back to the top. It was a very cool design. Sometimes I would just skip joining any levels and just ski the mountain in free mode. I'm not very much into collecting tokens, unlocking achievements or finding secrets. I just enjoyed the ability to ski the levels without time limits or competition.
fragge
fragge
Quote:
Original post by JohnBSmall
Quote:
Original post by kru
I think it sounds very neat and original. I don't know of anything similar. I think similar gameplay oriented more toward exploration could be interesting as well. I imagine lateral movement could be made to be just as interesting as constant upward movement.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad you like it :-).

What do you think would work to reward the player in exploration-based gameplay? Do you think finding/collecting items would be enough? Or perhaps just the challenge of fluid movement and finding routes? I think often for exploration you need something that's difficult to find so that the player feels good when they do find it, but I'm not sure how locations could be hidden in this game. I suppose if it was extended into a more full 3D environment there might be more opportunity for hiding things.

John B


First of all, excellent idea, and seriously not all that difficult to implement. Firstly I'd like to comment on (and give my own thoughts on) the gameplay system. You could have different rock strengths (a score out of 100 as to how useful that rock is from your particular position, displayed above the rock in a kind of bubbly text the same color as the rock, nice and small) and using the left and right mouse buttons to control arm and leg movements whilst using the mouse to aim to different rocks (this means you'd have to aim downwards of the climbers head so that he can place footings as you move your mouse negative on the characters y-axis). I love the head following the cursor idea - that's awesome :)

As for fatiguing, its quite simple really, there can be two modes (and you can have 2 master modes as well, one for rock walls and one for outdoor climbing with no little hints at what rock is strong and only a few set paths that are actually climbable, others just lead to fatigue and re-doing the mountain. You can also have a kind of *sheen* effect as hints, like bejewelled's hint sytem [see below for another bejewelled comparison - they're all good ;)]) which are time attack and collect. Time attack is simply getting from bottom to top as quickly as possible (and the longer you take, especially stuck on one spot, the more likely you are to lose grip on rocks as your energy goes down normally plus at a rate related to your time left). Collect can have a bunch of collectables on the wall but the player has to decide which ones are most valuable (with a time bonus, like with super marios coins x time) before getting to the top. If there's a coin out on a side with a bunch of miniscule rocks to hold onto which'll take you a bunch of your energy and time getting to, you'll waste time or potentially fall off the rock face and hang in space. This "coin-collecting" mode can also be done using a timer that slowly saps the player's energy, thus meaning they can do less and less on the wall and so have to move quickly to get all of the "coins" and complete the level.

There are several ways the fatiguing system can go, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea that different rock strengths contribute to different amounts of energy used in your climber, with the amount of energy directly corrolating to your chance to slip on a rock. You should be able to slip on rocks just traversing the wall normally if you are just sloppily aiming and clicking instead of actually finding the next rock to use as leverage.

Anyway, I hope that was some valuable feedback that you could perhaps take and use to help you design your game - I would most definitely play that game =) sounds like a LOT of fun. Especially if you did it with 2D cel-shading styles and a sort of Bejewelled kind of UI (that school of online flash games anyway, except this doesn't have to be a flash/java game) I think it would appeal to even the parents and other online users that enjoy spending their time with simple (yet intriguing complex and challenging) games that are quickly rewarding and in which you can immediately see yourself improve at the game.

Good idea bro :)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.