Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

cutscenes?

Started by danko56 Feb 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM 3 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
danko56
danko56
Hey guys, I was wondering wut subject does game cutscenes fall into? What courses and topics would I need to study to learn how to make cutscenes like those in Final Fantasy (I'm not planning on making them that good anytime soon lol).
Reegan
Reegan
Media, motion picture film/trailers, 2d/3d animation? im not sure what your asking, can you explain a little better?
hughiecoles
hughiecoles
if you want pre-rendered cut scenes(Final Fantasy, Older Resident Evils, etc.., the ones that look better than the game) its done by 3D modeling with a program such as 3DS Max, Maya, or the absolutely free Blender, then just inserted as video, but there are also cut scenes where the camera is set to a pre-determined path going through a real time scene, i believe you're looking for the first one.

I'm not a modeler, but I suggest looking at blender, which i believe has a fairly long tutorial on the website that can get you started.

if I'd have to narrow it down to a subject, it'd be in the "Art" realm
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
danko56
danko56
So I'm assuming 3d modeling is the answer? Also, cinematics would help too right?
zer0wolf
zer0wolf
Cinematics like those seen in the Final Fantasy games are indeed produced in 3d packages such as Max, Maya, Houdini, etc. If you are interested in learning the processes behind these then you need to start learning about CG, or computer graphics. You'll need to study such concepts such as environment and character studies, storyboarding, modeling, rigging, animation, lighting, rendering, editing, and shot composition.

I studied Computer Graphics Technology myself in college, so feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have. Some books I can highly recommend though right off the bat are:
Digital Lighting and Rendering, 2nd ed. by Jeremy Birn
Illusion of Life by Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas
The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

The second two largely cover the same material in regards to animation, but presented a little differently than each other. Both are fantastic, though.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.