Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Wheel of Time MMO and Eye of the World movie

Started by landagen Feb 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM 11 replies 2.8k views
Original Post
landagen
landagen
This isn't the first time I have heard about it, but I recently came across it again. I just wanted to see how others feel about it, specifically the MMO part. As far as the movie, I think I am like most; excited that someone is making it, but scared of the most likely disappointment I will have from them simplifying a wonderfully complex story. As far as the MMO, I am really excited about that, but wish I had the rights and the money to make it. I have long thought of how I would make an MMORPG based on Robert Jordan's wonderful world and I have some wonderful ideas about it. At least, I think they are wonderful. I definitely think his series easily fits an MMORPG format.


laeuchli
laeuchli
A game that never ends, about a story that never ends? Sounds about right to me.
ChaosEngine
ChaosEngine
Meh, even if the series hadn't descended into mediocrity long before the author died, the plot of the books is so compex as to be practically unfilmable. Certainly not in 2 hr movie format anyway.

The MMO might be good if you're into that kinda thing.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by laeuchli
A game that never ends, about a story that never ends? Sounds about right to me.


Oh, is Lambchops in it now? [smile]

Now, this is a bit unfair for me to say because I've never read any of the books... ([smile]) But if I were a snarky composer who'd been hired to do the music for this, I'd probably start by translating the melody in The Song That Never Ends (because it goes on and on, my friend) into symphony, slowing it down into something more climactic and heroic sounding and such, maybe lower it an octave or two to make it sound darker, and then just looking around hoping that no one's ever the wiser.
laeuchli
laeuchli
Quote:
Original post by Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by laeuchli
A game that never ends, about a story that never ends? Sounds about right to me.


Oh, is Lambchops in it now? [smile]



The way the plot was progressing, I wouldn't have been surprised if the author had included him as a twist ending, had he been able to finish the last book.
Stani R
Stani R
I'm more excited about A Memory of Light, the twelfth WoT book which will hopefully see the light of day this year (although I think next year and split into two books is more likely - Brandon may be over 400k words now, but he's aiming for around 700k, and the major editorial work/revision hasn't even started - even so, that's way before any movie or game might appear).

Like ChaosEngine, I originally felt that the books became weak after around book seven, but after countless re-reads they grew on me. Even Egwene and Nynaeve ceased to be annoying with all that braid-plucking and skirt-straightening, although I still feel that Egwene got too much political power too quickly for her own good (but that's both a fault of a number of the other characters as well as a prerequisite for fighting the upcoming war against the Dark One).

Still, while he was unable to complete the series, Robert Jordan delivered a very strong eleventh book shortly before passing away. So even if CoT felt like it was dragging because it went back in time to look at other perspectives (and had a woeful lack of Rand al'Thor in it), KoD put the series back on track and delivered some very satisfying moments.

I also don't see how anything short of twenty-four movies might do any kind of justice to Wheel of Time - the word "complex" does not even begin to describe it. There are layers and layers upon layers, and the cast of characters runs in the hundreds. Even a nine hour feature in the style of LOTR would not begin to scratch the surface here. Of course, whatever comes out of it, I'll watch it regardless.
Iron Chef Carnage
Iron Chef Carnage
It barely supported its own weight in epic saga format. The IP and characters could be repurposed for an entertaining spin-off movie, and the world is certainly rich enough to deliver an MMO gameworld, but I don't see WoT as being particularly well-suited to either.
landagen
landagen
I wouldn't say that the series descended into mediocrity. I do agree that he went a little bit overboard with such an advanced and complex story. I could have done with a few less characters and maybe a couple less books or at least not a couple of books that felt like filler. But I also think that there is a lot of forces at work (such as the publishing company) who maybe demanded something be written even though he wasn't ready. I mean, I get tired just from reading the books. Imagining writing them. I still would say it is one of the best, if not the best fantasy series. These books are beyond comparison in my opinion. I definitely look forward to book 12. It will be nice to have closure after 2 decades of this story.

I definitely agree with the comments about the movies. Regretfully, no production studio would be willing to commit to even 12 movies, much less 24. I personally do not see how they are going to pull this off as a movie. I would have like to have seen it as a series on maybe HBO or Showtime. It would probably take 3 seasons to complete, but to me it is the only format I would do the books in.


M2tM
M2tM
This may be a bit insensitive so realize I've marked it clearly as a spoiler:

SPOILER: The author dies at the end.
_____"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Luckless
Luckless
Quote:
Original post by M2tM
This may be a bit insensitive so realize I've marked it clearly as a spoiler:

SPOILER: The author dies at the end.


That was more than just insensitive, and besides, the author died before the end.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
tstrimp
tstrimp
I'm far more excited about the Song of Ice and Fire series planned for HBO. Martin's series is far superior to the crap that Jordan put out.

aSoFaI: TV Adaption
Stani R
Stani R
Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
I'm far more excited about the Song of Ice and Fire series planned for HBO. Martin's series is far superior to the crap that Jordan put out.

aSoFaI: TV Adaption


I was waiting for someone to bring that up. ASoIaF is definitely a strong series. We may all be old and gray before "A Dance with Dragons" comes out (it was "semi-complete" as far back as three years ago, when it was split off from AFfC), but we'll have consolation in having watched the HBO series before then.

M2tM, Robert Jordan never gave up, fighting a losing battle against terminal illness; he was still dictating notes about Wheel of Time from his deathbed, when he knew the inevitable was near. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is. Regardless of what you may think of WoT as a series, don't you think that comment was disrespectful to him as a person?

Muse
Muse
Well said about Jordan's dedication. I'm sure he kept on creating to the bitter end, and no Aiel waiting to spit in the Dark One's eye on the last day could say any more. Tai shar manetheren. I've enjoyed Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and I look forward to seeing what he does with book 12, but I'll still miss the old master (grain winnowing chapters and all).

Also, I think a WoT will make a brilliant MMO. There's a license I'd kill to have. They have, not only a fantastic world, but a fantastic assortment of classes that readily suggest themselves from the source material. Who has read the books and not thought of being an Aiel, or an Aes Sedai, or an Asha'man, or a Seanchan with a frikkin flying mount. Not me!

I hope Red Eagle is up to it. If the game stinks I'll cry.
-david

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.