Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Any other then...

Started by RideThePhoenix Feb 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM 10 replies 2.9k views
Original Post
RideThePhoenix
RideThePhoenix
Is there any other Libraries I can use besides winsock 2.0?
hplus0603
hplus0603
The Ronald Regan Presidential Library?

It depends on what you want to do, and where you want to do it. I'm afraid you'll have to give a little more information about requirements before anything can be answered in more detail.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
hplus0603
hplus0603
Every single MMO that runs on Windows is using WinSock for communication.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
hplus0603
hplus0603
There's also a nice list in the Forum FAQ. However, we can't even start answering questions about what library from that list would be suitable until we understand what it is you want to do.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
mpipe
mpipe
Winsock is how you do networking on windows. All other libraries are just wrappers for winsock.

Why are you opposed to using winsock?
DividedByZero
DividedByZero
Winsock is not so bad IMO. If use use a wrapper there is more 'potentially' to go wrong, as you have to trust that the programmer of the wrapper has done it right in the first place.

But yes there are plenty of alternatives. Some being Enet, Raknet, HawkNL...
The list goes on.

Enet is hplus0603's baby and he knows his stuff (probably far better than any of us). So, that might be a great option if you really want to avoid Winsock.
hplus0603
hplus0603
Quote:
Enet is hplus0603's baby


Actually, I've never used it for real, but I've seen enough other people have success with it that I can recommend it :-)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
oliii
oliii
I'll be using it in a little side-project of mine [grin]

I'll probably write some sort of LAN discovery for it though.
Everything is better with Metal.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.