Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Recruiting for top down shooter

Started by Daniel Protopopov Feb 12, 2009 at 8:01 PM 13 replies 3k views
Original Post
Daniel Protopopov
Daniel Protopopov

Team name

Lit Fuse Games

Project name

Gunblaster

Important

Commitment here is the key - if you decide to forfeit or become "unresponsive" for extended period of time, I will be seeking for a replacement that can continue in your footsteps. In such case, he or she will be using work created by you to finish it without claiming ownership over it. In other words, you will receive a place in credits section of the game and official documents. Again, if you cannot manage your own time and dedicate some of it to this project - think again before applying.

Brief description

Continuing work from couple years ago, this project will combine efforts of various individuals who will put time and resources into assembling an installment of a small game or a demo for prospective employer within a time frame of 6-10 months.

Target aim

Our target, as described above, is to produce playable game demo, within specified time frame. Make no mistake - I have worked and received HD as part of my university' 1 year project on the team, working and producing workable prototype for a local client.

Compensation

A compensation for your efforts will be a demo, assembled with your and other people' efforts that you can show to your potential employer.

Technology

Project Management Ace Project - This set of tools has helped my team to forgo quite a few obstacles on the way to completing the project on time. It also features forum and document storage area to assist with communication needs. Code Repository SVN as a tool of choice, provided by Google SVN. Asset Management Due to lack of funds, I cannot purchase Alienware DAM software package, while majority of other digital asset management tools are either of enterprise scale and are too complex, or are yet too immature to be considered. Therefore, FTP (with assistance of Synchronization) is going to be our choice. Language C++, complemented by rich functionality of Boost libraries. Rendering Open Source 3D Graphics Engine - OGRE. Audio BASS or FMOD, depending on programmer' experiences. I personally used FMOD before and found it outstanding in terms of ease of use and functionality.

Talent needed

Talent found Audio and SFX experienced person - Mr. Taylor, Australia 3D Artist - Mr. Kulis Concept Artist Can create concept sketches in specified theme, refinement and conversion of it to digital format is desirable. Ideally you are able to sketch on paper, import it into an image and refine your work in one of painting software (Adobe Photoshop, Paintshop, GIMP or others). This means that you are in-between beginner and intermediate, but those of above skill are certainly more than welcome. Programmer An intermediate programmer, who posesses some knowledge of design patterns and is able to work in conjunction with others. Examples of code are a plus, but not mandatory, adaptability to other programming styles however is. Animator/3D Artist Reasonably experienced (not necessarily with [freelance] work experience), a person who can create visually appealing 3D models (and animations) for/of in-game characters, not necessarily of high polygon or animation complexity. Texture Artist Reasonably experienced (not necessarily with [freelance] work experience), a person who can create textures for models created by 3D Artist. Having certain experience in this field, I will provide him/her with "template" texture assets.

Team structure

Right now it is only your humble servant, however I will be looking inside University of Ballarat (Australia) for people finishing their Games Technology course this year.

Website

A separate website is not needed, as team will be using external resources to fulfill its role for communication, data storage and other needs.

Contacts

acolytee AT hotmail.com, daniel_protopopov AT yahoo dot com dot au

Additional Information

Richard, former leader of the project, has approved usage of his ideas and concepts. Initial game design document can be seen here. Additional documents (SPMP and SADD) along with Communications and Change Management Plan(s) will be provided. While team is not assembled, I cannot provide Work Breakdown Structure document, however I tend to believe more and more that iterative(incremental) development is going to be our path here. Having created and maintained a few successful projects (such as Armada Online wiki), I will not be reluctant dealing with issues within the team by being prompt and precise, as well as assisting ANY member. I do possess a bit of everything (with "major" in programming), but will not miss a chance to learn something new from a more experienced individual.

Screenshots

Feedback

Any constructive feedback is encouraged. [Edited by - Daniel Protopopov on February 23, 2009 10:27:39 PM]
"Don't try. Do it now."
Daniel Protopopov
Daniel Protopopov
It is quite surprising that nobody is interested. I would like to add that, even though time frame seems small, it doesn't necessarily means that you will be doing alot more than on other projects. You will be doing a little bit extra to be sure we're all on the right track by visiting AceProject, however the amount of time spent by you for this particular project will (again) depend entirely on you.
"Don't try. Do it now."
Daniel Protopopov
Daniel Protopopov
It so daunting that only a few individuals decided to participate. While not assuming that GameDev' community is mostly interested creating MMOs, I am in quite some doubt as to why my post haven't generated enough interest...
"Don't try. Do it now."
Josh Heitzman
Josh Heitzman
I'd guess it is because your goal "is to produce playable game demo" and that most folks here want to make an actual game rather then a demo.
ersatzteil22
ersatzteil22
I like your project and the idea of creating a top down shooter sounds great. Shadowgrounds and Alien Swarm are great games.

Finishing a demo is much more realistic than finishing a complete MMO.

I am a 3D artist, but I need much more practise. Your work already looks so professional. And thats the point. I think my skills are to low to be a real help for your team.
----------------Looking for workhttp://borric.bo.funpic.de/www.bongoborric.de.vu/referenz/modelle.htm
Daniel Protopopov
Daniel Protopopov
So far and nobody interested? I thought that project with a fixed idea and comparatively low time commitment would generate more interest than an open minded MMO project.

Honestly, I'm surprised.
"Don't try. Do it now."
mvBarracuda
mvBarracuda
Looks like a great project and you actually seem to know your stuff from the project management point of view! Good luck with it.
-----PARPG - open source isometric 2d old school RPG still looking for interested contributors
kru
kru
Honestly, the design is so fleshed out that you are just looking for someone to make your game. I think that might be what people are thinking.

The concept art looks nice, though. Good luck.
Daniel Protopopov
Daniel Protopopov
Quote:
Original post by kru
Honestly, the design is so fleshed out that you are just looking for someone to make your game. I think that might be what people are thinking.

The concept art looks nice, though. Good luck.


Well, I see where you are coming from and am sorry if I made that impression on you or other people. While trying to assemble a team for a project that can be rewarding to both me and members, I cannot see myself as just the organizer of the whole thing. I will definitely take my part in 3D modelling, programming and other things, helping out fellow members if they are in trouble or just need some time off.

Even more so the game *demo* is going to be a valuable asset to anyone on the team, where an effort spent by a particular member on it is directly proportional to the final outcome, and, rest assured, I cannot and definitely will not claim their work as my own when it is released.

[Edited by - Daniel Protopopov on May 14, 2009 5:23:53 PM]
"Don't try. Do it now."
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
I think the game looks great and the goal of making a demo is a smart one. Easier to complete and then you could shop around for investors and/or publishers to make the full version or use the polished demo as proof of the team's abilities.

Best of luck!

Nate
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
DorianC
DorianC
looks professional and really thought out,i dont know why but when i saw the first 3 models, it reminded me of the new BattleFeild Heros lol

[Edited by - DorianC on May 17, 2009 9:17:27 AM]
ValMan
ValMan
I could have applied as texture artist, 3d modeler/animator or a programmer. The reason I didn't is because I am already working on my own game, and it's taking all of my free time and then some. It's highly possible that many other people on this forum are in the same situation. The time-frame thing does not seem too restrictive because you said that non-commitment will not be punished, and you still get your name in the credits even if you drop out. In addition, working with other people who know what they are doing would be a huge motivation.
Craig1020
Craig1020
Looks pretty good and I wish you the best in recruiting, Is it just me or were you inspired by half life 2 ever so slightly on a few of the models? They all look great!
Daniel Protopopov
Daniel Protopopov
Spots outlined above are available if you guys are still interested. While some things were done (music, for example), I would be glad if you decide to join this project.

To re-iterate a little, previous members have decided to lay back due to personal reasons and lack of time. I understand that to some of you these issues may be of interest, so here are the details.

The music was done by a great guy, a friend I made during development, he really had a talent that lets him understand what and how music was to be put together. In the event that we may require his help, he agreed that I contact him and have a little chat.

3D modeller was a little difficult to communicate with as he was often offline and was ... how to say it without offending him ... reluctant to talk while online. I honestly do not know why it was so, but I believe it is because he was busy with another project.

I couldn't find any concept/texture artist on DeviantArt/ConceptArt, most probably because those are hard to come by or require monetary compensation upfront. Either way, I think that I will be able to flesh out some concept sketches and model things myself in the event of not finding one on the side.

And finally, 3D animators are (and you know it's true ;) ) hard to come by, so, with help of trustworthy Milkshape 3D I believe that I'll be able to introduce animation at later stages in the event of not finding the animator.

A few pointers, though - we were and will be using project management tool called AceProject, so it would've been great if those deciding to lend the hand are to have any experience with proj. management; otherwise I hope you know how to learn new things and do not have a problem with it.

Looks like a lengthy reply, but hey, at least I got this out of the way ;) - so, I will be looking for hands to be put up and please, please - just because you think you might be "bad" or not good at something doesn't necessarily means it's true to others, so don't be ashamed and raise for a high-five!

You can either contact me here via personal message, or take a peek at my profile for online messaging contact details.
"Don't try. Do it now."

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.