Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Constructing Buildings

Started by L. Spiro Feb 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM 2 replies 900+ views
Original Post
L. Spiro
L. Spiro
When I make buildings for my favorite game, I create the shapes in WorldCraft 3.3 and my game has a set of tools that takes the resulting .map file and turn it into a lit playable object through which my in-game personification can walk and play. The tools generate portals and can detect where light from the outside can shine inside the object, and it knows when the player is deep enough inside the building that it no longer needs to render the outside terrain. I need to know how to convert these map files on my own to create some kind of solid objects for my own game engine and my future game projects, but I have found nothing at all related to building these kinds of tool chains. I am wondering what kinds of resources are available for creating these kinds of tools. I can create BSP trees and light maps, but what about portal generation? How can I divide the shapes such that I can determine that I should not draw terrain if the player is standing here, here, or here? I know how to use this data in the engine, if only I could just generate it from a .map file. I would really like a book that covers these topics if one exists. If not, let this serve as a hint to any future authors out there. Any other resources on this subject would be helpful. Thank you, L. Spiro
I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid
M_Johnson
M_Johnson
Automatic portal generation is possible, it's generally not recommended though since often the process results in portal's all over the place, for every little corner of your map which can be a performance hit. Basically the process to automatically creating portal's is similar to that of creating a leafy BSP, where the planes which you're splitting the BSP on in essence become your portals. You then have to parse all of your created portals and remove duplicate's /redundant ones.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro
It looks helpful. I will have to look in more detail once I get my engine to that point.


Thank you.
L. Spiro
I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.