Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Mac developer communities/forums?

Started by d000hg Mar 30, 2009 at 7:47 AM 5 replies 800+ views
Original Post
d000hg
d000hg
There are a few Mac guys on most of the programming forums I frequent, but they're normally in the minority and often are not 'real' Mac developers but people who have toyed a little on that OS. Can anyone point me to a forum where I might find lots of Mac developers? I'm not focusing on games here, I'd just like a forum with lots of people who maybe do Mac development as their job or at least use it as their main development platform. It's for C++/XCode specifically, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
swiftcoder
swiftcoder
Quote:
Original post by d000hg
There are a few Mac guys on most of the programming forums I frequent, but they're normally in the minority and often are not 'real' Mac developers but people who have toyed a little on that OS.

Can anyone point me to a forum where I might find lots of Mac developers? I'm not focusing on games here, I'd just like a forum with lots of people who maybe do Mac development as their job or at least use it as their main development platform. It's for C++/XCode specifically, if that makes a difference.
Ditto on iDevGames, but the community isn't quite as lively as this one. To be fair, there are quite a number of Mac developers here - I develop almost exclusively for the Mac.
Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]
d000hg
d000hg
Well, I really struggle to find Mac developers when I look here or on Ogre forums so I thought a specialist site might be better.

Thanks for those links, they look good.
swiftcoder
swiftcoder
Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Well, I really struggle to find Mac developers when I look here or on Ogre forums so I thought a specialist site might be better.
Most engine/toolkit-specific sites are very light on Mac programmers. Ogre at one point was down to a single Mac maintainer, as was IrrLicht and Panda3D - though I believe this has improved lately in all three cases.

iDevGames/iDevApps (departments of the same site) is about the only game in town, as regards Mac development forums. They are pretty decent, but they aren't as active as gamedev, and the level of knowledge outside of Mac specific stuff is generally a little lower.

GameDev is a little light on Mac folks, but that is pretty much a global phenomenon. At least three of our mods have developed on the Mac at one time or another - Ravuya and Superpig come to mind.
Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]
jpetrie
jpetrie
Quote:

At least three of our mods have developed on the Mac at one time or another - Ravuya and Superpig come to mind.

Me too me too! MoreMasters() for great justice!
SiCrane
SiCrane
Also Oluseyi and myself.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.