Original Post
Hello, I've gone over Drilian's fantastic article on lightning, and am having a bit of trouble getting the same sort of effect in XNA. I've gotten this with anti-aliasing and alpha blended lightning segments:
(everything looks even more obviously bad when I apply an additional glow texture to each segment) As you can see, the edges of the segments (when they overlap) are not blending as one might expect; they're doing additive blending instead of max blending. I'm just wondering if there's an easy way (using XNA) to perhaps render the lightning bolt offscreen using Blend.Max and then render that to the screen using Alpha. If so, might someone please suggest how? Could it be accomplished using a render target? Thanks and greetz Chad
(everything looks even more obviously bad when I apply an additional glow texture to each segment) As you can see, the edges of the segments (when they overlap) are not blending as one might expect; they're doing additive blending instead of max blending. I'm just wondering if there's an easy way (using XNA) to perhaps render the lightning bolt offscreen using Blend.Max and then render that to the screen using Alpha. If so, might someone please suggest how? Could it be accomplished using a render target? Thanks and greetz Chad