Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What is better than Directxtutorial.com?

Started by sharrakor May 5, 2009 at 9:16 PM 13 replies 13.5k views
Original Post
sharrakor
sharrakor
Hi, I've been doing some research and saw this post: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=517685 It appears that directxtutorial teaches some bad practices, so I'm looking for something else. I've got a fairly decent knowledge of C and C++, having studied it this year at school. I understand classes, objects, structures and pointers very comfortably, along with the basics of course. Is there any particular tutorial/website that someone could suggest to me? Bad programming practices are something I'd like to avoid picking up at all costs...
hughiecoles
hughiecoles
Directxtutorial.com is not THAT bad, and part of the reason it's considered bad is because, for the sake of clarity, it doesn't do things like error checking.
I learned a lot from the site when I started with directX, and the clarity was a huge help.

chadvernon.com, and riemers.net are resources that promote better coding practices, which also means that it can be a bit more confusing at first.


Keep in mind, that some of the people that slam that site learned openGL from nehe, and his code isn't much better.


I'm far from vouching for the site, but it's easy for someone that's been working with directx for years to sift through 50 lines of code for enumerating a device, not so easy for a beginner.

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
jbadams
jbadams
There's only 5 of them so far, but Evil Steve has some up-to-date and thourough tutorials on getting started with Direct3D on his website (also available in his developer journal). I'd highly recommend them as a starting point you could then build on from other sources.
- Jason Astle-Adams
MrCpaw
MrCpaw
I second that. Evil Steve has been putting out some amazing tutorials, really in depth. Take a look at them, I'm sure you will learn something.
VirtualProgrammer
VirtualProgrammer
I'll third it. His tutorials are one of the best I've seen around. But seriously the guys grammar is on a whole new level, don't let it intimidate you.

Hmm, DirectXTutorial is quite an awesome easy to understand site, apart from no error checks of course. But apart from that there are really good qualities about the site.
george135
george135
Always avoid tutorials (for kids only because too basic)
See DirectX SDK samples and MSDN doc : you don't need anything else.
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by george135
Always avoid tutorials (for kids only because too basic)
See DirectX SDK samples and MSDN doc : you don't need anything else.
I really hope you're joking.
SeymourClearly
SeymourClearly
4thed for Steve's tutorials. Even has std::wstring in there! :)
Atrix256
Atrix256
Drunken Hyena has some good beginning DX tutorials, it's really nice and detailed for initialization and the basics.

http://www.drunkenhyena.com/cgi-bin/directx.pl

The tutorials beyond that aren't very good though (such as anything actually game related) haha.

But seriously, the init and basics he explains really well
CmpDev
CmpDev
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by george135
Always avoid tutorials (for kids only because too basic)
See DirectX SDK samples and MSDN doc : you don't need anything else.
I really hope you're joking.


Are you saying that I should not have thrown that stack of books on the fire in the winter months? Doh! :)
sharrakor
sharrakor
So I'm trying out Evil Steve's guide, but I ran into a bit of a problem. I found and opened tutorial01_2005 (and 2008 after I reinstalled), but saw nothing close to what he has on the tutorial (also my files were tutorial01.cpp, not main.cpp). So I tried to find some documentation on the D3DWindow class and found nothing that was from microsoft, and nothing that had a tick function in it. I have Visual studio 2008 with SP1, and have updated everything; I couldn't find documentation for it in MSDN or in my downloaded documentation files either.

What do I need to do to get access (and hopefully documentation as well) for this class? And also the tutorial file of course.
atcomputers
atcomputers
Quote:
Original post by sharrakor
So I'm trying out Evil Steve's guide, but I ran into a bit of a problem. I found and opened tutorial01_2005 (and 2008 after I reinstalled), but saw nothing close to what he has on the tutorial (also my files were tutorial01.cpp, not main.cpp). So I tried to find some documentation on the D3DWindow class and found nothing that was from microsoft, and nothing that had a tick function in it. I have Visual studio 2008 with SP1, and have updated everything; I couldn't find documentation for it in MSDN or in my downloaded documentation files either.

What do I need to do to get access (and hopefully documentation as well) for this class? And also the tutorial file of course.


Good question. I started reading his tutorial, then stopped after I realized he was mentioning a file I had no idea how to find. I s'pose that comes with being new to this whole Visual Studio experience...
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by sharrakor
So I'm trying out Evil Steve's guide, but I ran into a bit of a problem. I found and opened tutorial01_2005 (and 2008 after I reinstalled), but saw nothing close to what he has on the tutorial (also my files were tutorial01.cpp, not main.cpp).
The source code is linked at the bottom of each tutorial. The source for tutorial #1 is Here. I've no idea what tutorial01.cpp is, that's nothing to do with any of my tutorials.

Quote:
Original post by sharrakor
So I tried to find some documentation on the D3DWindow class and found nothing that was from microsoft, and nothing that had a tick function in it. I have Visual studio 2008 with SP1, and have updated everything; I couldn't find documentation for it in MSDN or in my downloaded documentation files either.
The D3DWindow class is one that's created as part of the tutorial. It's not an "official" class by any means, it's one that I've written to encapsulate a Win32 window and Direct3D device.

Quote:
Original post by sharrakor
What do I need to do to get access (and hopefully documentation as well) for this class? And also the tutorial file of course.
See above (Source is here).

Quote:
Original post by atcomputers
Good question. I started reading his tutorial, then stopped after I realized he was mentioning a file I had no idea how to find. I s'pose that comes with being new to this whole Visual Studio experience...
What file was that?

EDIT: Actually, this might be my fault - I suppose it's not very clear to link to the source code at the end of the tutorial; I'll edit them to make it more clear.
sharrakor
sharrakor
Got it, thanks Steve.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.