Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

New Keyboard Suggestions

Started by programmermattc Jun 9, 2009 at 1:07 PM 26 replies 3.8k views
Original Post
programmermattc
programmermattc
I'm considering getting a new keyboard after having my current one for about 5 years. There's nothing really wrong with it other than the fact some of the characters have peeled off and it's dusty/dirty. It's a Zboard (looks like that company may have been bought out?). In any case, I don't do much PC gaming any more and pretty much focus on simply programming. I'd like something other than just the standard keyboard but nothing extravagent. Suggestions?
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
Microsoft Natural 4000 is probably the most recommended keyboard, and for good reason.


Secondededededed.

Without this keyboard I probably would have had to give up using computers about 3 years ago.
Sneftel
Sneftel
Thirded. It's difficult to describe just how different it is to type on one of these things than on a standard non-ergonomic keyboard. There's no unnatural-feeling finger motion or wrist flexion. Everything just is where it needs to be.

EDIT: I should mention that my one and only issue with the MS Natural compared to the MS Elite was that the space bar was too stiff if pressed too far from the center. That goes away once it's a little bit broken-in.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Fourthed. I've had every employer buy me an Ergo 4000 so far, and I use them at home as well. There's just no comparison.

The stiff space bar that Sneftel mentioned has been present on every 4k I've used but it does break in.
Yann L
Yann L
How long did it take you guys to get used to the ergonomic ones when coming from a traditional keyboard ? I assume it takes a while until you get comfortable with them, and blindly hit the right keys ?
programmermattc
programmermattc
I like the look of that Natural, though I've never used an ergo board before and would have to get used to it. I have a desk where the keyboard is on a slide out thing under the desk, do you guys think it would fit on that? It's about the size of a standard keyboard + 2-4 inches.
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
Sneftel
Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by Yann L
How long did it take you guys to get used to the ergonomic ones when coming from a traditional keyboard ?

When I learned to use an ergo keyboard (a logitech something-or-other) was when I started touch-typing. I put in the new keyboard, and put a piece of cardboard over it so I couldn't see the keys or my hands. Two rather unproductive days later, I was a touch typist. I imagine the process would be smoother for someone who was not learning the two concurrently. The split layout is most of the difference, and that's all in the wrists, so the finger motions aren't very different from a traditional keyboard.
programmermattc
programmermattc
I'm kind of bummed that it's not wireless. Looks like the 7000 is basically the 4000 and wireless but comes with a wireless mouse that I really don't need (already have one). I suppose I could live with one more generation of wired keyboards.
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
BeanDog
BeanDog
Funny you should say that--I was just thinking how glad I was that it was a wired keyboard. I've gone through several wireless mice and keyboards, and every one has become a frustration over time. It's always a poor connection, or batteries dying, or a noticeable (maybe 25ms) delay between pushing the keys and having it show up on screen. I'm planning on never, ever spending money on a wireless mouse or keyboard again.

Reviews on Amazon say the space bar is loud. Anyone confirm or deny that?
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
Quote:
Original post by Yann L
How long did it take you guys to get used to the ergonomic ones when coming from a traditional keyboard ? I assume it takes a while until you get comfortable with them, and blindly hit the right keys ?


Hmmm, I don't recall it taking me that long really, as Sneftel says the finger motions aren't all that different. I think my biggest issue was that I used to cross my hands slightly when tying so that I'd hit the tg and hy with both my left and right hands, so for a day or so I was hitting the dead area by mistake until my brain caught up and each hand learnt to stay in it's normal area [grin]

At a guess I'd have said I was back to close to my normal speed within 3 days and i've probably got faster since then as my hands don't move about as much to hit keys.

@programmermattc
Unless you are planning to sit some distance away the fact it's wired really isn't an issue. I had a wireless keyboard once but I never really noticed any advantage and you got the annoyance of the batteries running out at annoying moments.

Wireless mice however I can't live without, the cord is just too annoying [sad]
LockePick
LockePick
Quote:
Hmmm, I don't recall it taking me that long really, as Sneftel says the finger motions aren't all that different. I think my biggest issue was that I used to cross my hands slightly when tying so that I'd hit the tg and hy with both my left and right hands, so for a day or so I was hitting the dead area by mistake until my brain caught up and each hand learnt to stay in it's normal area

At a guess I'd have said I was back to close to my normal speed within 3 days and i've probably got faster since then as my hands don't move about as much to hit keys.

Same for me. Getting used to the middle area and breaking in the space bar took a few days and it's been a joy ever since. Well, actually it was a joy right away since I started noticing my existing wrist pain completely disappearing after the first afternoon of using it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Natural 4000 is probably the best purchase I've made in my entire life because it literally saved me from destroying my hands.
Martee
Martee
I'd just like to chime in and agree that the Natural 4000 is unmatched in its awesomeness.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
programmermattc
programmermattc
I bought the 4000 last night and slowly started using it. I'ts definitely going to take some getting used to considering 1) I've never used an ergonomic key board before and 2) I never took a typing class so I can't hit certain keys with certain fingers anymore (used to hit certain left hand keys with my right hand.

Quote:
Original post by BeanDog
Reviews on Amazon say the space bar is loud. Anyone confirm or deny that?


The whole keyboard in general is much quieter than my old worn-in board. I didn't think the space bar was all that loud. My biggest issue is because of the curvature the Backspace key seems REALLY far away and you have to really crank your hand to hit it, but thats my opinion.

Otherwise I've so far enjoyed it other than it feeling like torturing having to learn to type a new way.
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
eedok
eedok
Quote:
Original post by Yann L
How long did it take you guys to get used to the ergonomic ones when coming from a traditional keyboard ? I assume it takes a while until you get comfortable with them, and blindly hit the right keys ?

I never had any transition time, I was able to go straight from touch typing on a straight keyboard to touch typing on the ergo one, the keys all feel they're in the right place and I have no issues switching back to straight keyboards either, like when I use my laptop.
Sirisian
Sirisian
My typing changes when I go from my work flat keyboard or my laptop keyboard to my ergonomic keyboard. I type probably twice as fast on an ergonomic keyboard since my fingers can't jump past the middle and they stay on home row. I can't type on home row with my flat keyboard for some reason. (I just tried and it feels awkward).

I also recommend the 4K. It's the keyboard my brother uses I believe.
programmermattc
programmermattc
Quote:
Original post by Sirisian
My typing changes when I go from my work flat keyboard or my laptop keyboard to my ergonomic keyboard. I type probably twice as fast on an ergonomic keyboard since my fingers can't jump past the middle and they stay on home row. I can't type on home row with my flat keyboard for some reason. (I just tried and it feels awkward).

I also recommend the 4K. It's the keyboard my brother uses I believe.


I use a flat at work and got that new ergo at home and I've been training myself to type correctly (I hadn't heard about this whole home row thing until a few days ago) and I can type better correctly on the flat than on the ergo. I must be opposite :p

Anyways, I'm getting better and I'm still loving how quiet the 4000 board is. And I can sit there typing for longer and don't feel the tiredness I feel in my arms after long periods of typing. I work as a programmer and after work my hand it kind of tired and the ergo relieves it while I'm typing at home so it's worth it.

Anyone have one crap out on them though? I was reading an article and a lady said hers stopped working and wasn't up to handle 'heavy' typing.
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Gotta come in with the big HELL YEAH on the MS Natural keyboards. I've got two, one at home and one at the office that I made my client buy me. I can definitely type faster on this keyboard than I ever did on regular ones. However, I would like it to have somewhat lower profile keys. Not as low as a laptop keyboard, but definitely something that doesn't require quite so much SMASH from my fingers. Whatever.
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by programmermattc
Anyone have one crap out on them though? I was reading an article and a lady said hers stopped working and wasn't up to handle 'heavy' typing.

I definitely bang hard on the keys. Mine one at home has been going for 2, almost 3 years, and the one here at work is at least a year old.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.