Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Contracts Needed

Started by programmermattc Jun 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM 4 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
programmermattc
programmermattc
I'm wondering what contracts I currently need to have my team sign. I'm guessing right now that I need two, one for them accepting their work on the project will be property of the team, the money given will be decided upon at a later date, and that they won't steal the ideas. Second I imagine I'll need a contract defining the pricing amounts later on. How does this sound? Also, is it a problem that the team is not a copyrighted company/team name? I'm planning on talking to a lawyer about it but I'm not sure anyone local would have a good idea on game stuff (though it should be general enough that they should).
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
Cornstalks
Cornstalks
I think it sounds a little scary defining the pricing later on after the work is all done. What if someone disagrees with the second contract and refuses to sign it because they demand more?
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
You need a collaboration agreement that specifies ownership, termination, responsibilities, everything.
http://www.underdevelopmentlaw.com/2008/11/collaboration.html
http://www.gamedevkit.com/
http://www.obscure.co.uk/directory/directory-legal/
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
monalaw
monalaw
Quote:
Original post by programmermattc
I'm wondering what contracts I currently need to have my team sign. I'm guessing right now that I need two, one for them accepting their work on the project will be property of the team, the money given will be decided upon at a later date, and that they won't steal the ideas.

Second I imagine I'll need a contract defining the pricing amounts later on.

How does this sound? Also, is it a problem that the team is not a copyrighted company/team name?

I'm planning on talking to a lawyer about it but I'm not sure anyone local would have a good idea on game stuff (though it should be general enough that they should).


as Tom said, you'll need a collaboration agreement. Pay particular attention to IP rights (how they can be exercised and by whom) and control-- for example, are decisions going to be made by majority, is there one person with complete control who designates assignments, etc. You'll also need to incorporate an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) to protect those ideas you mentioned.

As for money, typically if rights are split among the team profits resulting from those rights are split according to percentage of ownership in rights. If you're splitting rights now you may have a difficult time negotiating a different price later on-- the team members will feel entitled (and legally would be) to their share based on their stake in the IP.

The location of the attorney is probably less important in this particular instance than the experience that attorney has. You'll want someone with experience in entertainment law and IP transactions.

Also, and this is me nitpicking, a company name isn't copyrightable. It's trademarked.
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
Quote:
Original post by madelelaw
Also, and this is me nitpicking, a company name isn't copyrightable. It's trademarked.

You nit, we nit, we all nit pick.
Missed that one.

-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
quack
quack
Quote:
Original post by programmermattc
I'm planning on talking to a lawyer about it but I'm not sure anyone local would have a good idea on game stuff (though it should be general enough that they should).

general entertainment lawyers work as well. at least that worked for me. i bought gamedevkit first as it was a good starting point.
www.autodefrost.com/~travisSignature Virus cleaned by McAfee

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.