Original Post
What about the ARB Assembly Level? I can't find information about it. Is it already deprecated?
Quote:
Original post by zorbad
As far as I know, gpu_program_4 is now EXT and should be supported by ATI. You can compile Cg shader to all *_program_* assembly.
Quote:
Original post by zorbad
Well, it's actually gpu_shader4
Quote:
Original post by Chuck300
But I'd really like to know who decided to deprecate the assembly shader.
Quote:Okay, I will give you those - they are arguable (especially the second one), but I won't dispute them. These however:
Original post by Chuck300
But I'd really like to know who decided to deprecate the assembly shader.
There are just disadvantages:
- Less control over the Instruction Limit.
- More complicated optimizations.
- Sometimes much longer Compilation times.
Quote:are pure nonsense. Have you ever *tried* to implement a meaningful shader in assembly? Say, an atmospheric scattering post-process in a deferred renderer?
- You have to work on a high-level language so it's difficult to
insert/exchange/change/delete etc. parts of the code. That causes:
- More complicated Effect-libraries.
- More complicated Shader management libraries.
Quote:Source-level dependencies in high-level languages more difficult than register allocation/dependencies?
I've tried to implement an Shader management system working with preprocessor commands. It was very complicated to add one part/effect to the shader, because in a high level language there are very much dependencies and constructs which have to be changed and/or modified.
Quote:A lot of shaders these days are not some 'little low-level effect', and I would say that any shader with over a few hundred instructions is completely unmanageable at the assembly level.
And I think it's against our 'holy' programming rules to change something (very) high-level to cause an little low-level effect. That's just not the way we (programmers) are usually thinking.
Quote:So now you are going to implement shaders in 2 assembly languages (NVidia and ATI), as well as GLSL for other vendors (Intel, VIA, PowerVR, etc.)? Not really seeing the solution in all that...
Original post by Chuck300
I found a good solution for my problem.
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more