Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Strating Game Creation

Started by GameGeek Jul 16, 2009 at 10:27 AM 10 replies 3.3k views
Original Post
GameGeek
GameGeek
Hey, I don't have any programing experience and I'm only 10 and I'm wondering if there are and 3D Mmorpg coding tutorials that a 10 year old would understand. Also, I would like a 3D Mmorpg Maker which is preferably drag and drop but coding is fine too, I'd just use the tutorial. Also, I would prefer that the 3d Mmorpg Maker is free but if it costs 1 to about 100 dollars that's probably ok too. Anyone who helps thank you in advanvance!
agm_ultimatex
agm_ultimatex
Im not aware of any 3dmmo makers, but engines are out there. A lot of the MMO-asian games are made using BigWorld's engine and technology. In all honesty, to really make something like this, you need to have excellent game programming skills, and a team of good people. Capital to support the project is often needed too. While you could test a couple connections at home on it, but when you start getting more and more connections, it will take a lot of hardware to support it, and bandwidth. Games like wow and guild wars have server farms to support their games.

In lieu of what I said, I recommend trying out some game programming with either Python or C#. There are some game makers out there for single player games, but to be honest I am not familiar with them. Since you're young, it wouldnt hurt to touch into some programming, cause if you keep working on it, you could be fairly good at it by the time you're 18 or so, and getting ready for post-secondary education.
Plasmarobo
Plasmarobo
A tutorial for a 3D Mmorpg is going to be very difficult to find.
I began programming at 11 with a tool called DarkBASIC. This was almost a decade
ago, but I found it to be a very effective tool for learning how to program.
MMorpgs take teams of hundreds a few years to complete. You may want to rethink
starting with something so complex! If I was going to recommend a book I would
suggest Beginning C++ Game Programming.

My advice is to start small and make sure you understand everything. I began with
a simple text-based system, and now I'm working on making my first fully-featured
2d-in-3d graphics engine, with plans to start my first, simple, game.

Not that I didn't try to bite of more that I could chew immediately. The first
thing that I did was try to create a 3d shooter by modifying the code for a
existing one, and I ended up ruining it.

_________Optimists see the glass as Half FullPessimists See the glass as Half EmptyEngineers See the glass as Twice as big as it needs to be
HostileExpanse
HostileExpanse
Well ... before getting to the whole MMORPG part, you'll want to learn the basics of programming. I was able to pick up very basic programming when I was 10 (though I didn't grasp arrays, but other than that, I figured out enough to make little calculator programs). IIRC, the only books that I could find at the time weren't even much in the way of tutorials. So, if you're dedicated enough, it's very possible that a large part of the wealth of online tutorials could work out for you to learn programming. If you're able to do that much, then your age won't matter much when it comes time to move up to games.

The fifth link (learncpp.com) from this list looked decent to get you strated
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=very+basic+c%2B%2B+tutorial&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
JWalsh
JWalsh
You may also want to check out my upcoming book Programming an MMORPG in C# with XNA and the accompanying project website where we discuss and post news for the XNA MMO Starter Kit titled Level-Grind Online.

Zael
Zael
I hate to say this, but an MMORPG is a pretty huge undertaking. A 3D MMORPG is an even bigger undertaking. If you want to just make some basic games, there are kits available like RPGMaker, but they won't be able to do MMORPGs, and I doubt they will be able to do 3D.

If you want to learn to program, I have heard very good reviews about a book called Hello World. It introduces the python language, and is geared towards students your age. A review I read about the book indicated that the book even had some simple games as examples at the end of the book.
FableFox
FableFox
Wow, Level Grind online. The best name I've seen for MMO engine. :-)


Actually I think a long time ago (last year) there is a 3d engine for MMO, it was advertised in an e-mail along with cheap 3d modeler(was it true space?).


But I in the end the engine is like 3D Game Maker. Easy to start, hard to expand.
zand3r
zand3r
Hi Bud,
You should purchase Realmcrafter. You can create multiplayer online games, entirely drag-and-drop, with a bit of scripting. Its fairly simple to learn.
http://www.realmcrafter.com/

Timesplitter14
Timesplitter14
I don't think it's a good idea to start making an MMO when you're 10 and have little to no programming knowledge, buddy
J0Be
J0Be
Quote:
Original post by JWalsh
You may also want to check out my upcoming book Programming an MMORPG in C# with XNA and the accompanying project website where we discuss and post news for the XNA MMO Starter Kit titled Level-Grind Online.



Sorry to hi-jack this for a moment, just wanted to tell you that the Tittle Song is SUPERB !!!

gusso
gusso
I'm not much of a game developer, but I can tell you that if this is what you want to do, then only time, dedication and effort will grant you any form of success.

An MMORPG is not a game you can pull out of your hat in a weekend, as mentioned it takes big teams of professional developers years to accomplish.

I suggest you read on game development in general and start small, see if you like it and go from there.

There are tons of tools available, as a programming language you could pick Python as a starting platform, it's powerful, robust, and easy to grasp.

Python + pygame will most likely get you started in no time.

In the end, however, it's experience and talent that dictates the end results and not necessarily the tools used.

Furthermore if you ever want to get into multiplayer + rpg You'd be looking (realistically) at MUDs (Multi User Dungeon) since it's more likely you'll be able to provide server+client for people to host games on, than to host a 500+ user server on your own ( Unless you're rich or your project is so great you actually got investors, it won't happen --- and for this, you ought to be in a legal position to sign contracts and at least have an understanding of basic law anyway )

So in the end it's all about workforce and capital. An MUD is approachable in comparison and that should be your long-term goal in my opinion. Be realistic, study hard and don't be afraid to ask for help or try new things on your own.


Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.