Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Experienced Programmer Seeking Team/[PAID] Project

Started by Developer_X Aug 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM 5 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
Developer_X
Developer_X
Name: Richard Marks (Click link to view my google profile page) Platforms I have experience programming for in order of exposure:
  • Commodore 64 (I know this quite well)
  • DOS (I've done VGA mode 13h 2D raster effects and wire-frame 3D demos)
  • Windows (Pong, Breakout, Pacman clone game demos)
  • TurboGrafx16 (Several walk-around demos for action and rpg games)
  • Nintendo GameBoy Advance (Made a Pong clone for my cousin)
  • Linux (My primary development environment, most projects are for Linux or cross-platform)
  • Sega Genesis (Started a 2D space shooter. The project code was lost in a flood)
  • Nintendo DS (Started yet another space shooter project. I lost interest in the game due to real-life issues becoming a problem)
  • Programming languages, Libraries, etc I know:
  • C/C++ (I tend to favor C, function pointers and const char* with a mix of C++ vector and classes)
  • I possess a wealth of knowledge of C and C++. I am able to develop pretty much anything, with a few noted exceptions, such as networked software. I do not do networked software.
  • A little C#/XNA2 (I never spent much time with it. Its too easy.)
  • I found C# to be really simple and powerful once I added experimenting with XNA. When I moved to Linux I stopped using C#, and obviously XNA was not available. I do not have an in-depth knowledge of XNA. I would be labeled an intermediate programmer in C#.
  • Python, Ruby, Lua, Perl, Tcl
  • These languages I have been using very often, and I know them very well. I have developed games in Python and Ruby before using Pygame and RubySDL. I have developed an IRCBot in the first two, using external libraries such as Twisted for Python, and NET::Yail for Ruby. I have written quite a few Perl scripts, though they are primarily just text processor scripts. I have used Tcl with Tk to create simple GUI utilities for various tasks that I've had to do in Linux.
  • Haskell, Erlang
  • I am not a fan of Functional programming. I wouldn't consider a project in either of these unless the money is very substantial. I used Erlang to write a plug-in for Wings3D for exporting 2D level data from a 3D model. (Made it easy to create complex platform levels) I used Haskell for about 2 months. I used an extension for OpenGL and made several simple demos by trying to recreate the NeHe OpenGL tutorial demos.
  • PHP4 / PHP5, XHTML / CSS (Yes I know its not a programming language, but a markup language)
  • I have extensive experience with writing PHP web applications such as guestbooks, forums, multiuser logins, image galleries, and for various other tasks. I've used HTML for years, and started with XHTML about 4 years ago. I develop in XHTML 1.0 Strict and CSS 2.0 for nearly every website that I do now.
  • Java / SWING
  • I do not know the enterprise features of Java. I can build simple GUI tools, and I can create 2D games using Swing.
  • &#106avascript</li> Who doesn't know JS these days? I developed a web-based sprite editor using JS. I've made several hundred scripts for various purposes. <li>Pascal</li> I know the syntax, and have made a simple unfinished text based rpg game demo using this language. I learned it to reverse engineer some Pascal sources that I had found online years ago. <li>BASIC, QuickBasic, Visual Basic (up to 6 ..not VB.NET)</li> My roots are in BASIC for the Commodore 64. I have written well over a thousand programs using the BASIC dialects. <li>Allegro 4.2 (I refuse to move to that nightmare that is A5)</li> This is by far my favorite API to use. I know the entire API, usually do not need to ever look up function parameters. I know all of the datatypes and their uses. I have written a PNG and OGG implementation for use with Allegro. I've used Allegro for more than 200 of my projects. I have taught classes on using Allegro, and received great feedback from my students. <li>SDL (Core lib plus SDL_image, and SDL_mixer)</li> I've made a few games for people in SDL. I've developed shooters and platform games, and I made a nice map editor using SDL. <li>OpenGL/GLUT</li> I've gone through the NeHe tutorials for GLUT and Win32. I have a working knowledge of the API calls, though I will need my handy OpenGL bible book near me when working on anything using it. <li>DirectX 7 to 9</li> I'm not a fan of windows-restricted APIs. I started with DX7 a long time ago, and have used it to follow along with many books in the GD series of books by Premier Press. I made a breakout game, a pong game, a shooter, and an abstract game (no way to classify it..it could be puzzle, action,platformer,shooter,pong ..it depends on how you play..a shame that I lost the games when my dad formatted my PC a long time ago...) <li>Many Win32 API functions</li> Again, not a fan, though I know it well enough. I've gone through the book Win98 Programming from the ground up, and the GameInstitute lessons. I've made tile map editors, time trackers, screensavers, sysmenu hooks, file and process information retrieval utilities, and whack-a-mole type games. <li>GTK+/libglade, wxWidgets</li> If I need to write a GUI tool, I use one of these. I can make pretty much anything with them. I like to use Ruby or Python over C when making GUI tools, for the faster development time. <b>Additional Skills</b> <li>Texture creation (high quality 512x512 to 2048x2048 seamless textures for 3D games)</li> <li>Tile creation (pixel art for 2D tile based games)</li> <li>Inorganic Low and High Poly 3D Modeling (You want a robot? I'm the guy. You want a humanoid or an animal? Look elsewhere.)</li> <li>Instrumental Acoustic / Electric Guitarist</li> <li>Problem Solving (I rarely have been unable to solve a problem I'm faced with)</li> <li>Project Management / Code Organization / Refactoring / Optimization</li> <b>Previous Projects:</b> In no particular order: <li><a href="http://devxcode.googlepages.com/rpgs">SAWD</a></li> <li><a href="http://www.ccpssolutions.com/witchhunt/">WiTCHHUNT</a></li> <li><a href="http://gitorious.org/projects/48h2009minirpgjamentry/pages/Home">48hr Mini-RPG</a> (This never made it past a walk-around with some moving/chatting NPCs because I ran out of time. I still intend to pull this into a full game if I ever find some people to give me a hand.</li> <li><a href="http://www.ccpssolutions.com/nadierian_chaos/">Nadierian Chaos</a> (I've actually sold more than 300 copies of this game to date!)</li> You can find more of my work on <a href="http://www.google.com/profiles/ccpsceo">my google profile</a>. <b>Other:</b> I'm the co-founder of <a href="http://www.ccpssolutions.com/nogdusforums/">NOGDUS - New Orleans Game Development United Society</a>, and the founder of <a href="http://www.ccpssolutions.com">CCPS Solutions</a>, and <a href="http://www.uasoft.info">Undefined Aeon Software</a>. Okay, so now that you know a bit about me.. I'm seeking a team that has a need for someone with my skill set, and/or a project that I would be able to contribute to. I would like to stress a few things since I continuously have been having to answer these questions in PMs. <b> #1 - I have no Networked Game programming experience, so don't inquire about that. #2 - I do possess a basic working knowledge of the Ogre3D API, however I do not have enough experience to write any frameworks. I could work with an established framework provided it is documented. #3 - I prefer not to work on a 3D project, unless there is an experienced programmer already on the team and he or she has already established the base code. #4 - NO MMO projects please! </b> Does anyone have a need for someone like me? <b>Expected Compensation:</b> I need to have either a considerable lump-sum, an hourly position, or a weekly salary that is at the very least 60% of the standard industry rate. <b>Availability:</b> I'm a starving programmer. If I'm being paid for it, I can work it. When you stop paying, I stop working. Simple as that. <b>Contact Information:</b> Forum PM, AIM: CCPSCEO or MSN: undefined_aeon@hotmail.com <!--EDIT--><span class="editedby"><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - Developer_X on August 9, 2009 5:15:25 AM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->
  • imjustcool
    imjustcool
    hey visit badastudios.com we are growing development team creating a mmo racing game with rpg element revenue will be shared once game is released and receiving revenue


    we need a lead Programmer


    we using
    Ogre3d for rendering engine
    ageia or bullet for physics
    cegui-for gui
    fmod -probably for sound audio
    RakNet -for networking
    but join and check out our forum you might be interested

    and visit my post on game dev title"(MMO)need members c++ programmer
    DreadKnight
    DreadKnight
    Hello! My name is Vali, founder of Freezing Moon, a Non-Profit Organization focused on building free open source cross platform games, mainly using foss tools, such as blender.

    You have a nice set of skills there. We'll mainly require Python (2.6 / 3.x) for our programming needs, as well as basic knowledge of blender and it's Logic Bricks feature (drag and drop 'coding'). Both are quite easy to learn actually.

    Even if we're a NPO and are games are free, that doesn't mean there's no way to generate income. I'm planning to have the core team members payed on constant basis in the near future.

    We're a small team atm and rather underground, lacking real coders. We're developing and online FPS (Dark Shift) and an online RTS RPG (Ancient Beast), which I usually refer to as a MMO, but it won't really be a full scale one.
    You can read their design documents on the website and you can also see some of the concept art and 3d models.

    Feel free to email me DreadKnight@FreezingMoon.org or you can use the website's contact form or you can find some of us in our chat room.


    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Cheers!

    P.S.: I've added you to MSN (dk.vali@gmail.com)
    Developer_X
    Developer_X
    Sorry, but I gotta bump this thread back to the first page....

    I'm still looking for work..anyone have spare funds that can help this starving programmer out?

    My services are not free, but they do come with satisfaction guaranteed!
    imjustcool
    imjustcool
    if you ever change your mind about joining a development team and get paid once released and revenue comes in check us out at badastudios.com join forum to see all posts
    we could use your programming talent
    DBRUncleJessie
    DBRUncleJessie
    Hi there, I sent you a personal message but thought I would post to bump you up! :)
    Developer_X
    Developer_X
    Sorry, but I need to bump this thread back to the first page again....

    I'm still looking for work... so does anyone have spare funds that can help this starving programmer out?

    My services are, much to many people's dismay, not free, but they do come with satisfaction guaranteed!

    Topic Locked

    This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

    Sign in to reply to this topic.