Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Choosing a 3d game engine

Started by sujayg Aug 11, 2009 at 5:25 AM 5 replies 900+ views
Original Post
sujayg
sujayg
I am very good in C, C++, Windows Programming , Visual C++, MFC , but I am completely new to game programming. Just to give an idea of my idea of game programming, I dont know how to create a mesh :-) I found out OGRE, Lightfeather, Crystal Space, Horde3d , and Irrlicht . Though most of these say they are not gaming engines, but again I hear people say one should use them for games . I have choosen Irrlicht to start with , as there are good examples and documentation. Can anyone help me in giving pointers as to where should I look to ... examples would be the best Sujay sujayghosh@hotmail.com ICQ : 431156558
cignox1
cignox1
I never used game engines myself, but I've heard good things about both Irrlicht and Ogre. As you already stated, most of them might be just Graphic engines, and won't handle game logic, AI, networking or sound.

I *think* that the most advanced OO graphic engine out there is Ogre, but don't quote me on that.
sujayg
sujayg
Yes a game engine is made up of many libraries , so I guess we all need to assemble all of them to create a complete gaming engine .

Those things can come later ....

But as I said earlier, I want to create a mesh to start with .. maybe an avatar on which I can put nice dresses .

Any pointers on how to start this

Sujay
evolutional
evolutional
As Irrlicht is a graphic engine, you'll need to write the rest of the Game engine yourself. I'd recommend a book like Game Coding Complete 2 (or 3) that goes over all of these subjects and should give you an idea of how to go about building one.

evolutional
evolutional
Quote:
Original post by sujayg
But as I said earlier, I want to create a mesh to start with .. maybe an avatar on which I can put nice dresses .

Any pointers on how to start this

Sujay


First thing to do is read the Irrlich Tutorials, go through the samples, look on their wiki for information... You'd need to be able to model a character using blender or some other 3d package and then texture it.
mmakrzem
mmakrzem
If you want to create a 3D model mesh, you'll need to use a 3D modeling tool like Blender (free), trueSpace (free), Maya, Max, etc.

After modeling and texturing the model, you want to export it into a format that the game engine can understand. I haven't used Irrlicht so I don't know what it supports.
sujayg
sujayg
I have got a 3d Maya file ( model.obj )

I followed the tutorial instruction on the Irrlicht tutorial, and loaded a model file .

The image is not getting rendered properly .

Is it because of the addCameraSceneNode .

Presently the code of addCameraSceneNode is as follows

addCameraSceneNode(0, vector3df(0,30,-40), vector3df(0,5,0))

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.